Is this a Joke?

They're sitting in Stiles' jeep when he finally says it out loud. He's been thinking it for about a week, just casually, when he's stuck watching Scott and Allison be all cutesy or warming the bench at lacrosse practise or lying in bed after being up for far too long on his computer or really just when he isn't paying attention. You know the joke is bad when you've been thinking about making it for a week. And yet Stiles still had to make it. It had crossed his mind that maybe he had to say it because he wanted an answer to it, but he strayed down that path once and he did not think he should do that again with Derek so close. "So is this your version of a date?" Derek turns to him slowly, that menacing stare of his on his face but Stiles just stares right back, too used to it now to look away. Though the low growl coming from Derek does make his heart rate increase- which, thinking about it, Derek probably knows.

"This is a stake-out," he says, all casual, like this is something they just do and yeah, it is, but be more excited about that.

"That's not a no." The look Derek gives him tells him it would be best to shut up, or else his head might get reacquainted with his own steering wheel.

~

The next time, they're at the cinema; pack-bonding sessions finally having extended past Derek's burnt out house and everyone is very grateful even if Derek sits there pouting- it's pouting no matter what anyone says. Stiles leans over, quiet because the lights have gone down and the film is starting. This time he offers Derek popcorn before blurting it straight out. Surprisingly, Derek accepts it, not taking his eyes off the screen as he does. "Is this a date?" Stiles whispers- before anyone on-screen can start speaking because he is not one of those people that speaks over films except that sometimes he totally can't stop himself. Derek doesn't appear to have heard him, but as he leans back into his own seat, there's a quiet, aggressive "No" followed by the crunch of an unpopped kernel. Stiles smirks to himself.

~

Pack-bonding doesn't always go as planned, and sometimes people have work, or are grounded, or just cancel with no real reason at all. It's never ended up with just Stiles and Derek there though. Not that Stiles is complaining- hell no is he complaining about being stuck eating pizza across the table from Derek Hale with his eyes and his hair and his perfect stubble. Derek's not eating. Stiles never really sees him eating. Which is odd. It's not as odd as the way Derek stares. And Derek stares a lot. At least Stiles is subtle about staring (he likes to call it admiring). Mr Grumps over there just stares as if it's Stiles' fault that only the two of them showed up. It's not, as much as he is enjoying it, he can't claim resonspility for it. That goes solely to Scott, who suddenly decided today was the perdect day for Allison and him to 'study' and not tell Stiles about it until he was sat at the table, Derek opposite him, slurping loudly from a glass of lemonade. Stiles eats his pizza all the same, and he enjoys it even though he's super self-concious that there's cheese all over his face.

"Is this a date?" Stiles asks, mouth half full. He can't tell if the face Derek makes is due to the view he recieves or the question.

"No," he replies eventually, finally looking away from Stiles.

~

Stiles doesn't like not having a car. Stiles doesn't like the reason he doesn't have a car. Stiles doesn't like Derek. And yeah, okay, the last one's a lie but Stiles currently feels rather unhappy toward the man walking in front of him right now. Derek told him- ordered him to leave his car at home, they were walking today. Where to? Stiles didn't know. Why? He didn't know that either. Everytime he asked he was told to 'Be quiet Stiles'. He was also told that in response to 'why did we have to walk there? Through the park? I'm not built for walking you know, why did you make me walk?'