Chapter 7

Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets.
-Arthur Miller

=Chapter 7=

Kicking down the stand on my bike I clamber off and pull my helmet from my head and sigh as the light breeze washes over me. The cooler weather was most welcome after the normal sweltering days we had been having. Taking a deep breath I hoist my bag strap further on my shoulder and stroll towards the schools busy entrance.

I had been informed earlier thanks to a text from Charlotte that she and Chris couldn't come to school today. For what reason I had no idea, that part she had left out but with their noted absence there was no need for me to linger awkwardly in the car park on my own. It was strange considering I'd only known them a week and that meeting them out front now seemed to have become a routine of sorts.

Nervously I glanced around for Annie's vibrant red hair as I walk, but with the rush to get to the lockers it was impossible to make out anyone person in particular. Biting my lip I give up my search and instead head to my locker with my head down and my eyes glued to my black converse.

No matter how much Charlotte had managed to make me feel comfortable around their small group and trust them enough to become friends, I still had the strong urge to avoid anyone new. My palms still sweated and my clenched hands shook as I did my best to avoid contact with people in the bustling corridor.

With my helmet clenched under my arm and my bag firmly on my shoulder, I managed to make it to my new locker without any run in's with people like my first day. And for that I was grateful as much as I am glad that I meet charlotte, I don't think I could cope with having to face the embarrassment of something like that again.

Tossing my un-need gear into my locker I shut the door and hurry off to my first classes – none of which I was anticipating; especially with the absence of most of my new friends, meaning that I had no one to help distract from the boring lectures which the teachers seemed to consider necessary.

Sighing quietly I collapse into my seat in maths class, allowing my dark hair to brush either side of my face. I hide behind my curtain of solitude and attempt to look as small as I possibly can, why people talk happily around me.

Uncomfortable butterflies flit nervously in my stomach as I focus my attention on Mr Ives, who seems to overlook the fact that half the class were currently whispering under their breaths to one and another excitedly – about what though, I wasn't sure.

It wasn't until the bell rung and most of the class had pushed themselves through the single door that I noticed Annie also appeared to be absent from school today. Shuffling uncomfortably I shove the rest of my books into my bag and walk quietly out the door trailing behind the rest of the students.

I already knew that Charlotte and Chris weren't going to be here today, but Annie's absent was strange. I can't help but frown, as far as I knew Annie didn't miss school or skip classes, in fact she was possibly one of the more enthusiastic students I knew.

So why wasn't she here today?

Fiddling with my heavy bag strap I can't help but wonder if perhaps she's not here because of Chris. Thinking about it now there have been few times were they actually apart. In fact I can barely image one of them being separated from the other.

Shaking my head I release a quiet sigh. I needed to stop over thinking this – I mean tons of people don't go to school everyday so Annie's absence wasn't strange at all. Glancing down at my watch I realise that the bell is meant to ring any second, ignoring the loud voices of the students surrounding me I quickly rush towards my classroom just as the bell blares loudly above my head.