Chapter 6

“There is nothing better than a friend, unless it is a friend with chocolate.” 

― Linda Grayson

=Chapter 6=

"Hurry up would you! I don't want to miss it." Running from the house, the rest of us were left to lag behind her energetic form, I don't think any of us were nearly as keen as Charlotte this early in the morning. Turning around impatiently Charlotte mumbles something inaudible under her breathe and jogs back.

"Guys," she whines at our slouching forms "do I have to do everything?" Grumbling quietly she reaches out and grasps our arms before dragging us further around the house. Yawning widely I forced my eyes further open and attempted to look more awake than I was for Charlottes sake, but being around five in the morning I knew that the all-nighter we had pulled was beginning to take its toll on my body.

I knew that I looked like shit; I had no doubt that I had dark rings stained under my eyes and a rats nest for hair but with Charlottes excited energy buzzing through the air I tried to act less tired than I really was. Glancing over my shoulder I watched as Annie stumbled lazily behind a drained looking Chris, I had no idea how Charlotte was doing it but she was defiantly the most awake out of the group.

With Charlotte leading the group it didn't take long for us to reach the ladder which Chris had thoughtfully placed against the house earlier the previous day. With Charlotte going first she quickly clambered to the top and disappeared over the two storied ledge. Suspiciously I eyed the old looking ladder and gulped down a deep breath of air, it certainly wasn't a new one with its chipped sides and missing rungs.

Biting my lip I reach out a grasp the sides gently, the flaked wood dug into the skin of my palms as I held on tightly. Nervously I placed my foot onto the first peg and tested my weight before placing my next foot down, the process felt like it took forever as I anxiously waited for the wood to give out from under me but thankfully I made it to the top - all with my sketch book safely tucked under my arm.

Without looking back down at the ground I cautiously moved across the slippery tiles from the morning dew. The dampness didn’t seem to bother anyone else as they took their seats along the edge while looking out at the black skyline waiting for the colours to ignite the sky. Hanging back from the others I seated myself higher up and instead of joining in on the quiet chatter of my tired friends I open my sketchbook to a blank page.

A single thought doesn’t cross my mind as I pull out my pencil and ignoring the chilly nip of the morning air I began sketching my new friends who were sitting calmly ahead of me. The sun had only just begun to rise, creating a somewhat airy glow as the light touch everything in its path. The three people ahead of me sat in such stillness that is was easy to believe that they weren't real at all, but rather a part of my imagination.

A sigh of relief slipped past my slightly parted lips while the cold created small clouds as my breath was released. The silence around us was a nice change; most of the night had been full of laughing and movies so I hadn't really had a chance until now to actually be on my own. It was strange really, over this past year I had slowly become so accustomed to being alone that I had forgotten what it was like to really be around others. The silence gave me time to think, it gave me space to breathe and not worry about expectations.

It was nice to have that freedom.

I watch with bleary eyes as Charlotte turned her head around, seemingly searching behind her. "Alex what are you doing up there on your own? Come sit with us," Smiling at me she pats the spot beside her in an open invitation to join in.

Smiling back I carefully shut my book and slide down so we sit side by side. As we rest everyone remains silent and still as if any small movement might break tranquillity of the wakening world. There was something about watching a new day begin it was like a good omen - something that just made you feel good inside, it was like you knew things were going to turn out alright.