Part 12

Prince leads me across the yard and into the house, leaving the setup to the people he's hired. Marcus exits the elevator as we are headed towards it, "All your bags are in the master, Sir." Prince nods. Marcus looks at me, "Where would you like your flower pots?"

I look towards our back yard that's in the process of being staged, "Um, they'll be safe in the garage for now, thank you."

"Yes, Ma'am," he turns towards the front door as Prince pulls me into the elevator.

The door closes and I take the opportunity to ask, "How many people are going to be here?"

He scrunches his face, thinking. The longer he thinks, the bigger my eyes get, "Under fifty, I think."

"Oh." I nod, trying to fathom fifty people (he thinks) in our yard and home, there's plenty of room but that is still a lot of people.

The elevator door dings open, "Which dress do you want to wear first?"

"The black one," I answer as I'm pulled into the bedroom to change.

I find my bag from the trip on the floor of my closet, along with the new garment bag that holds my dresses. I strip, choosing to put on a different bra and panty set, before I slip into the black dress. Danielle does amazing work, I think as I study the dress in the mirror. There is no doubt that this dress was tailored just for me, the fit is perfect.

"Oh, Dana," I hear Prince breathe beside me, my first indication he's entered my closet.

I smile shyly, it's a rare occasion when he actually uses my name. I gently lift my hair for him to zip the dress as he continues to stare at me in the mirror. Once zipped I turn and face him, running my fingers along the lapel of his jacket.

"You look even more sexy than normal," I tell him as I study his face.

"Is that possible?" he jokes. When I laugh, he says, "Thank you, Dana."

He shakes his head as he gazes at me, "I don't know how anyone could call you mousey, you're absolutely breathtaking," he starts to caress my cheek, but stops, closing his hand into a fist and pulling it away, "Come on, let's get these pictures done so I don't have to worry about ruining our makeup."

We go back downstairs and head straight to the garden where Prince has two photographers ready and waiting. One he's used before, the other he's seen his work and is trying out for the first time.

At first they bring us over to the area where the bench is now sitting. Prince takes his time positioning and posing me before placing himself next to me for each of the photos. He studies my face, my profile, my posture, getting everything just right. I trust his judgment before I would any photographer, if anyone knows how to work a photo shoot, it's Prince.

It seems like a million photos later in almost every finished space of the yard, Prince leads me back into the house so we can change, we do so in a hurry and head straight back outside. The photographers have grown accustomed to waiting for Prince's cues before snapping most of the shots, but I notice the seasoned photographer is taking some candid shots of us as well.

We are wrapping up with the photos when I see Kim and Monica stroll through the gate, so I assume people will be starting to arrive. Prince and I are still partially posed, we're facing one another, my left hand on his cheek, to show off the ring, and we're supposed to be gazing into each other's eyes for the photo, but when the women walk in, we both look toward the gate. I ask, "When does the party start?"

"When I can get you out of this dress," his voice is dripping with lust. I avert my gaze, tucking my head slightly under his chin, smiling bashfully, because sometimes he can make me feel almost virginal when he says things like that out of the blue. I hear a camera's shutter clicking away, the one photographer is snapping shots and looks very excited about his captures. I look up at Prince to see if he had noticed the camera as well, it's obvious he had, because he's got that smug half smile on his face and looking directly at the photographer. "I want to see those," he says impatiently.

The photographer runs over and begins to scroll through that last set of images, showing us in quick succession. It's almost like watching a video as the pictures play out, the first images show Prince had just finished answering me, my eyes are wide, not a good picture, but the next couple are everything. When I had just averted my eyes and started to tuck my head, Prince's eyes are focused on me, his expression is tender. The next shot you can tell he's aware of the camera, he looks very proud of himself as I appear modest. The shot after is where that little smug half smile comes in, I'm still unaware of the camera, but Prince most definitely isn't. There is the element of movement and emotion to the photos that make us both smile and nod at each other enthusiastically. These just might be contenders because one of the key points we're looking for is my ring being visible, which it is as my hand leaves his cheek and comes to rest on his chest.

Kim approaches as we are hoovered over the camera display, grinning like fools, "Please tell me he got that! I've never seen anything so adorable!"

Prince takes the camera from it's owner and shows Kim, now she's nodding like we just were, the new photographer looks on defeated. As Prince hands the camera back, he says, "I like those, but we have a lot to look at before I make any decisions."

Feeling bold, I ask Prince, "Could we take some more where we are not in matching outfits?" He looks at me like I'm crazy. "Hear me out, I just want to see what it would look like if you were wearing the black suit while I stay in this dress."

I see him pondering it, lips twisted, he scans my dress again, hesitates then nods one single nod before he turns half trotting towards the house. Kim's mouth falls open, "Now I've seen everything," she shakes her head and returns to talk with Monica and Kirk, who has just arrived.

Prince returns in moments, he has swapped out the black shirt that went with the suit to an ivory colored one from his closet, "I like it," as I finger the shirt, it still goes with the jacket, but also pulls out the ivory applique of my dress.

"Me, too," he admits, "the suit didn't look right with the one that matched your dress, but I think this works," he says before we pose for just a couple more photos, just in case.

More Paisley Park staff and band members are starting to arrive as Prince takes a moment to talk with the photographers. They begin to pack up all their equipment when he returns to my side, leading me over to the slowly growing group of people. I have met most of these people, so I feel comfortable as we approach, he informs me on the way over that the photographers will be joining us, to which I laugh, "Of course."

I'm left to mingle while he does checks on the makeshift 'stage'. The band members who were at the event in Tennessee seem especially happy to see me, they were worried when they heard that I left early that night. I don't elaborate on the reason, I just smile and let them know "I had to leave." No one pries, but I'm sure they are used to not getting the full story since they all have worked for Prince.

I look over as three beautiful women join Prince by the instruments, the NPG members take notice as well, since they are no longer his backing band. Prince points to me and all three women smile and wave, he motions me to come over. I'm introduced to the members of his new band 3RDEYEGIRL. Hannah, Ida, and Donna each have their own unique personalities, and just like everyone else Prince surrounds himself with, very amicable and accepting.

Introduction complete, I move back into the group as Prince counts them in on a song that is new to me, Plectrumelectrum, I find out later. There are no vocals, but it's jammin'.

The song stops abruptly and Prince says "Sis!" into the microphone before removing his guitar and bee-lining his way to the gate.