Chapter Forty

Laura

Sitting in the aeroplane my heart was thumping so quickly I was sure it'd burst. My breathing was coming quickly and my palms were sweaty. I looked beside me, past Lilly, who was sleeping, and out through the tiny window.

My stomach lurched.

All I could see was white. Clouds for miles.

We were too high up, and this tin can sounded like it was going to fall out of the sky at any moment. I was certain the engine wasn't meant to make that noise.

"Excuse me," I stopped a stewardess. "What is that noise?"

"What noise?" She asked, her eyes taking in my tense posture with sympathy. "You don't like flying."

I shrugged, not prepared to admit it.

She smiled, "the sound you hear is the propellers," she answered my next question before I even asked it, "and I assure you, they're supposed to sound that way."

"How much longer is the flight?" I prayed it would soon be over.

"We still have over an hour," she smiled sympathetically. "Would you like a magazine to distract you?"

"No, thank you."

I leaned back in my seat and closed my eyes. I tried to breathe evenly, and not think about the fact we were thousands of miles above the ground in a sardine can that cou - no. I wasn't going to think about that.

If only Lilly was awake to distract me. I opened my eyes and looked over at my sleeping girlfriend. She looked so peaceful, her blonde hair surrounding her head like a halo. She was snoring, very softly, and I couldn't hold back a smile when she mumbled something and shifted in her seat. It was the cutest thing I've ever seen.

I stroked her soft cheek, and she stirred, her eyes opening a crack.

"Hey," she mumbled, stretching and rubbing her head.

"Hiya," I ran my fingers through her hair, smoothing it. As she leaned into the touch a deep sigh of satisfaction escaped her mouth.

I kissed her softly.

When I pulled away my gaze slipped across to the window, and I felt the fear rise inside me.

"Are we almost there?" Lilly asked, her voice still low and sleepy.

I shook my head stiffly. My hands gripped the arms of the seat. My fingers turned yellow with how tightly I held on.

"What's wrong?" Lilly asked, but I didn't reply. I couldn't. "Are you scared of flying?"

I shrugged and averted my eyes.

"You are, aren't you?"

"I've, I've never, well I've never actually, uh," I stuttered. Lilly's mouth fell open.

"You've never been on a plane before?" She sounded totally shocked, as though it was impossible to imagine someone having never been in one of these death traps.

"No," I said, a little sharply. Then the plane shook as we hit some turbulence and I gripped her hand tightly in mine. "Fucking hell."

Lilly tried to hide her smile, but wasn't quite successful.

"What're you smiling about?" I kept sounding snappier than I meant, this damn flying thing wasn't doing anything for my temper.

"You're cute like this." She said simply.

"Cute? I'm scared out my freaking mind, it's not cute!"

"I know sweetie," she cuddled my head into her chest and stroked my hair, "I'm sorry."