Chapter 15: Masked (Part II)

*Rosie*

Not many people would think of my problem as a big problem, but I was grateful that Max managed to understand the pain I was feeling. After calming me down and I stopped crying, we stood at the balcony and just started to talk without our masks on. He was really handsome, I realized that. His brown hair was messy and his grey eyes totally suit him. 

"You know, you're far more prettier without the mask on." He started the conversation. I glanced at him and smiled. 

"Thanks, you look better without it on too." 

"Still upset?" His smile faltered when he saw the pain resurfaced in me. I nodded, not bothering to answer him or else the tears would just come flooding. I already stained the top part of my dress, I didn't want to ruin it anymore. Instead of pressuring me into saying it, Max wrapped an arm around my shoulders and pulled me closer. 

"You wanna know how my parents got to know each other and fell in love?" Max asked me, his voice low and soothing. 

"Mhm." 

"Well, your mom and my mom moved to New York. They met my dad at a high school somewhere there and then worked at my family's restaurant. My dad was close to your mom at first and they became really close best friends. Then my dad told me that he had a crush on my mom since senior prom. He asked her out after going out on a few dates. Then a few years later, my dad proposed to my mom, and they got married. Nice, huh?" I nodded. Even in my sad moment, I still love the hear how people got together and live happily ever after. 

"Wanna hear how my parents came together?" I challenged. My parent's story wasn't exactly cute and romantic like Max's. Mine had lots of blood and gun and action. Mostly about surviving my dad's cousin, I think. At first when my parents told me the story, I didn't believe them because mom didn't look like the type of girl who would actually fight someone and win. But when mom showed me a scar on her stomach, I didn't hesitate to believe then. 

"Oh that story? I've heard it from my parents a thousand times. It's practically my bedtime story when I was younger. You don't have to repeat it." 

"Come on, meet my parents." He nudged me and I followed him back to the room. Everyone was still there, still smiling, nothing changed. Putting back my mask on, I folded my arms and followed Max to a bunch of talking adults, smiling and laughing at each other's jokes. Max went up to a blonde lady and grinned. 

"Hey mom, remember your friend Fleur?" At the mention of my mom's name, her eyes widened and she nodded at her son. 

"Of course I do! Why?" 

"Well, meet Rosie." He stepped away, letting Livette to look at me as the side of her lips curled upwards. 

"Hello, Rosie. I'm Livette. Your mom and I used to be friends." She stretched out a hand for me to shake. I smiled at her and shook her hand. 

All of a sudden, a hand landed on my shoulder making me jump. My first instinct, thanks to my mother's gene, was to punch whoever that was behind me. But I froze when my eyes met those familiar blue ones. 

"Heath..."

"Time to go home, Rosie." 

"You're not the boss of her!" Max spoke up. Oh how I wish he hadn't done that. Heath scowled at him and his grip on my shoulder tightened. 

"And who exactly are you, guard dog?"

"I'm her friend. And she's a human, which means she has her rights. You don't go around telling her what to do!"

In a second, Heath's fist made contact with Max's face and soon both of them were punching each other every where.

"Stop!" I shouted and got between the both of them. Max instantly stopped hitting but Heath didn't. I felt something hard hit my cheek and I fell to the ground.

"He hit her..." and "Poor girl..." and "Is she alright?" were all I could hear. Max quickly knelt down beside me and checked the bruise forming on my left cheek.

"Guards, escort him out." Max ordered.

"Yes, young master."

The last thing I heard was Heath's shouting and door slamming before the whole room became normal and the music started again.

"Let's get you clean up..." Livette's gentle voice said to me. Wiping the tears from my cheek, I stood up and took Livette's hand as she slowly led me to another room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hmm... I think I'm starting to grow attached to Max's character xD Anyways, here's the update! Sorry it's so short, but I wanted to save the rest for other chapters :)