Chapter 4

"Rachel Steele! Is that you?" my grandmas high pitched voice calls out. I sigh. There's no turning back now. "It's me grandma" I say once I reach her. She wraps her arms around me. squeezing tightly. "I've missed you so much!" she cries out. "how have you been?" I ask. Not sure what to say back to her. "I've been great, dear. How have you been?" she replies. "I've been great grandma." I lie to her. Giving her a small smile to convince her. I have not been good at all, I've been horrible. I've always been horrible. Its not exactly fun when you have no friends to hang out with. A tear rolls down my cheek, but I quickly wipe it away, hoping my grandmother didn't see it. Thankfully she was so focused on hugging me that she didn't see it. I picked up my bag and said "alright gram. Let's go" my grandmother nods her head and starts walking forward, toward the exit. "how's your mother?" she asks. I look away and stare at a car in the distance. "oh, she's fine" I don't want to look back at my grandma, I know she will see right through me. "is everything alright dear?" my grandma asks. "oh yes, perfectly fine" I say it with a hint of sarcasm so I wasn't lying but she couldn't tell if I was serious or not. We find her car and get in. "since you are going to be here for a few months, I thought I would enroll you in the local high school so you don't get behind on your schooling." "thanks gram" I say. We drive to her house in complete silence, only the soft rumbling of the engine could be heard. I don't know how I am going to survive a couple of days here. Let alone a couple of months.

We get to her small apartment sized house and walk into the house. It has one floor and only 4 rooms. There's a kitchen/living room, a bathroom, and 2 bedrooms.  My grandmas house was a ranch style home. Very small, but cozy. You could tell already that she did not fit in with everyone else in this neighborhood. There were mansions surrounding her house. Making her house look even smaller. The mansions were all at least 3 floors and would have at least 20 rooms. I could see a family across the street get out of an expensive looking car and walked into their mansion. There was 3 of them. A mother who looked to be about 40. A father who looked to be the same age. Then there was a boy around my age. He was absolutely gorgeous. He turned his head towards me and I quickly looked away, hoping he didn't see me. He was most likely the most attractive male I had ever seen, but I couldn't let this distract me, not now. I decided to go put my stuff down in my room. I turn and see my grandma standing behind me. "Those are the Vananders. They are the richest people around." my grandma said. I nodded my head and walked to my room, this is going to be a long few months.