14. Alex

Jason^

"Hey," I looked up at the sound of Riley's voice and saw him walking towards me and I smiled which he returned only to frown

"What's wrong?" I asked when he was near me and he sighed

"We need to talk," and now it was my turn to frown

"Um, okay," I said nodding closing my locker once I put away the books I won't be needing and followed him out of the building since it was time to go home

"Fuck," he cursed and I furrowed my brows in question as he paced back and forth in the parking lot by his car since he was driving me home

"Are you going to pace the whole time or are you going to tell me what's wrong?" I questioned leaning on the hood of his car with my backpack on the ground

"I forgot to tell you something, before we go further into our relationship I need to tell you something," he said and I nodded

"Okay and what may that be?"

"About a year ago I used to live in Connecticut and there I had this boyfriend" he began and I blinked confused as to where this whole thing was going to and so I just frowned but didn't interrupt him,"I was dating this guy who was nothing like you."

"Well that's comforting" I scoffed making him sigh

"Not in a good way, Alex. He was different in a bad way. He used or may still be using drugs. I thought he'd change for me, for us but he didn't stop. He always asked me for things that I thought he didn't need but me being the stupid fool that I am, always got him whatever he wanted no matter what and no questions asked. We had an unhealthy relationship. He used to beat me when he didn't get the things he needed or when he ran out of drugs." He said and I blinked shocked at what he was telling me. Why did it take him so long to tell me about this ex-boyfriend though?

"Why are you telling me about him now? Why didn't you tell me about him sooner?" I asked making him stop his pacing

"Because I was stupid. I thought that if I didn't talk about him, that he'd just fade away from my mind but than we got together and memories of my last relationship emerged and I compared the two of you. You make me the happiest guy in the world. With you I don't have to fear of getting a call from the hospital or morgue saying that my boyfriend was found unconscious or dead" he said and I swallowed the lump in my throat at his sincere look and I bit the inside of my cheek,"I'd get called out of class or woken up in the middle of the night telling me that he was hospitalized after being found in alley"

"Do you still love him?" I asked hating the way my voice shook as the question left my lips

"No" he replied making me look up at him and saw he was inches from my face,"What I thought I felt for him was that but it was pity. I pitied him because he didn't have someone to tell him that he was beautiful or smart or that he was worth it. And because of that I let him do whatever he wanted even letting him physically abuse me. We broke up after I ended up in the hospital with a severe concussion after he threw a vase at me because I told him he needed to stop using"

I just stood there watching him as he watched me

"The only person I've ever fallen deeply and hard for is you. You've made me see that life doesn't revolve around the future me the fear of consequences instead I live in the now and don't even think about anything other than being myself. I know I should have told you about Justin before we became a couple but o didn't want to think about him nor bring up any terrible memories I had with him" he said and I knew he was telling the truth.

"Would you get back with him if he stopped using?" I asked and I feared the answer and so I braced myself to get my heartbroken but instead I felt his hands cup my face before his lips landed on mine