Chapter 56: This Moment Now

The following two nights went by faster than I had ever expected. While I had wanted to simply soak up the time I had with my family and Jason, the night of the Alphahood Mating ceremony came quickly. The night before, Jason and I had led another hunt with the Kiplings and a few of the other European alphas. And after we came back, I had curled up in the alpha den with my family, exhausted but beyond happy.

This is how your life should be, my mind said softly as I continued to curl the last few strands of my blonde hair. I sighed quietly and moved onto the last few of locks. You have happiness and someone who understands you. You can do this.

"Serenity," the sound of my mother's voice called from the sitting room of my suite. "It's nearly nine."

I inhaled again and nodded, knowing she couldn't see me. I had about a half-hour before it was time. "I'll be right there," I answered. I finished the last curl and spritzed them with hairspray. I ran my fingers through the ends and then stepped back into my bedroom. I undid the ties to my silk robe before reaching for my gown.

Once again, Jason's taste didn't disappoint. He had given me several options that had waited for my return with my family. They had all been made of soft, lightweight organza and nearly see-through, like gossamer. I had gone with the silvery, off-white gown of the three. Its bodice fit like a second skin and was made of sheer material layered to look like leaves made of lace. The neckline was encrusted with silver beading that covered my torso and breasts. The skirt was long and went to the floor, embroidered with more silver beading to look like tree branches, with a slit in the layers of organza for easy maneuvering.

I hung the gown up on the changing screen before taking my robe off. I slowly slipped into the dress and fastened the catches in the back without looking. I pulled my breasts into the right place beneath the fabric leaves so I was fully covered. I stepped out from behind the tri-fold panels and walked over to my vanity table with its display of moonstone and white gold jewelry.

Finding the wooden box with the Mistress Alpha circlet, I carefully lifted it out of its velvet bed and placed it on my hair. I adjusted the clasp at the nape of my neck and then arranged the curls around my face. I reached down for the matching moonstone bracelet that also had a few small diamonds and sapphires set within the design. I smiled at myself and then picked up my pinkish-nude lipstick. I carefully slicked it across my top lip and then my bottom one.

The woman who stared back at me in the mirror made me smile. She was an Alpha with indigo eyes. And I felt whatever little bit of dread in me dissipate.

I picked up my strappy nude heels and walked towards my sitting room off the bedroom. I pushed the door open slowly to find my mother and Jenny waiting, sipping from glasses of blood and nibbling on the platter of food someone had left for us.

Jenny's head turned in my direction and I watched her face light up in the same moment my mother smiled. "Oh my god, Seren, look at you," my sister-in-law breathed.

"You look gorgeous," Mum said, putting her glass down.

I smiled. "Thank you. Do you like the dress?"

My mother's mouth quirked when she looked at how risqué the top of the gown was, but then it smoothed as quickly as it had bunched. "It's definitely you," she said at last.

I glanced down at the bodice and nodded. "Don't worry, it's more covering than it looks. No wardrobe malfunctions."

"Regardless, you look amazing," Jenny replied, nodding her head in approval.

"Thank you," I said again. I moved forward to sit in one of the grey armchairs. I slipped into my heels and fastened the buckles around my ankles. "Please tell me there's coffee."