Chapter 11: In The Dark

I followed my chosen target through the maze of people who were half-dancing to the remixed song blaring over the speakers. I ducked my head under one of the scaffolding rails as he led the way into a narrow, dark hall.

"I'm Luke, by the way," he said with another puppy grin over his shoulder.

"Hannah," I answered, going with an alias name. If he remembered anything, I didn't want him to tell some cop that a blonde named Serenity was his attacker. He was sober still, from what I could tell, which would make hazing his mind into passing out more difficult.

Since Shadow Stalker vampires remained under the radar of humans, I was always careful to never leave a trail that could come back to me, to my mother's coven, or to our species' existence. The only humans who were aware of our presence were allies to the coven, like Jenny and James had been before being Turned. Most had lost loved ones to the coven's enemies and sworn allegiance to my aunt Eris, in hopes of getting their revenge or justice for what had been done to them. All it took was for one clue to cause trouble. Those who found out our secrets or stumbled upon a vampire coven accidentally didn't tend to have happy endings.

"Nice to meet you, Hannah," Luke said, his voice picking up in pitch. He was excited he actually learned my name. He faced forward again and shoved against the door hard enough to push it open with a creaking groan of its hinges. "After you."

I smiled and slipped through. The night air was cool out and I fought back the need to shudder. The smell of the city and the distant wilderness was a relief away from the stench of the bar. I sighed slightly, looking up to see the stars again before turning around to face him. "Thanks. Guess you come here a lot then, huh?"

"Yeah, probably more than I should," Luke answered, grinning. He let the door close behind him as he joined me outside in the open space of a deserted parking lot behind the buildings.

"Everyone seems to be there for a little more than a good time," I said slowly, looking over at him again. "But you don't strike me as the type to be there for that same reason."

He shrugged, looking uncomfortable with that question. "I, uh, get pot from the bartender for way cheaper than what I could score at a dispensary. It's just easier to hang here whenever I come through town. Plus they have good beer."

I scoffed and shook my head. "You should seriously get out more. That's not a good beer selection," I laughed.

"Yeah? Damn. Thought I found some good shit," he chuckled.

I smiled, leaning against the brick wall of the building beside the dumpster. He seemed so awkward and timid inside; but out here in the dark, he was more confident. He didn't care for the place either, which meant he probably wouldn't be missed. Even through layers of brick, I could faintly feel the bass of the music. One short inhale told me that Jason was waiting on the other side of the door.

"Yeah. You'd be surprised," I said.

"Sounds like you're a girl who's fairly well-traveled and experienced."

It was my turn to shrug. "Something like that."

"I like that," Luke admitted, smiling at me with a boyish sense of sweetness I hadn't seen on a person in a long time. He didn't have ulterior motives like most people I knew. I had seen enough politicians and diplomats claw their way for power among my aunt's court. I had seen enough coven leaders try to push their house rankings and family names higher up the chain of command.

And just like that, I felt guilty for what I was about to do to him.

"Yeah? Trust me, if I could go back to naivety and not knowing what the good stuff is, I probably would," I replied.