Chapter 13: Long Shadows

The only sound in the car was Kelsey's breathing. Jack could tell she was trying to control herself, her tears, her body. She had her arms crossed under her breasts, hands cupping the opposite elbows, as she shuddered from time to time, like chills. He clicked the heater on, even though it wasn't that cold.

As soon as they were in the house, Kelsey said, "I want to take a bath, okay? I want to take a bath."

Jack looked at her in concern.

Kelsey saw this, and shook her head. "Don't worry, I'm just cold, and I feel kind of yucky, you know? I just want a hot bath. I'll leave the door open," she finally said, when Jack continued to look upset.

He nodded, and they went to the bedroom together. Kelsey began to take off her costume while Jack went into the bathroom and ran the water into the huge tub. While it filled, he took off his own costume, adding bubble bath and lighting some candles, turning on the bathroom heater to warm the air for her.

Kelsey came in, wrapped in Jack's bathrobe. She was holding it closed at the throat and waist, and smiled her thanks when she saw the preparations he'd made. She noticed that he, too, was undressed, down to his briefs, and asked, "Will you get in with me?"

"You want me to?" he asked, looking at her closely.

She nodded, taking off her robe. "Of course, I wouldn't have asked, otherwise." She put her hand on his chest, a hand that was still cold, he noticed. "Please, Jack," she added.

He nodded, grasping her hand and kissing it. "Sure, sweetheart."

She carefully stepped in, holding his hand for balance, and sat down, letting the bubbles close around her. She leaned back, closing her eyes.

Jack got in, sitting opposite her, stretching out his legs next to hers. He, too, leaned back, closing his eyes, relaxing into the warmth.

Even though the house was not new, the bathroom was state of the art, and the bathtub was huge, jetted, with the taps conveniently located on the side, so a person could lie back on either side and not run into it.

Jack had just settled down when he felt motion in the water, and he opened his eyes to see Kelsey sitting up, looking at him.

"What are you doing way over there?" she asked. Before he could answer, she sloshed over, turning around so she could lie between his legs, her back resting comfortably on his chest. She pulled his arms around her body and patted them, murmuring, "That's better."

They just stayed that way for a while, letting the jets swirl the water all around them in the candlelit bathroom. Kelsey sighed deeply from time to time.

"Jack?"

"Mm?"

"Is that how I looked?" Her voice was soft.

He was silent, and she gave him a gentle shake.

"No," he finally said.

More silence.

Kelsey gave him another shake.

"What? You want details?" He sounded disbelieving. "Like how you looked different?"

He could feel her head moving against his jaw as she nodded.

Jack took a deep breath, making Kelsey move in the water.

"Okay. Okay. I've never seen you wear that much make up, like ever. That girl looked like a caricature of you. So all that raccoon-eye stuff? The streaky tears and all that? You'd never look like that." He stopped to consider. "You weren't that bruised up or whatever, your body didn't look like th--" Jack broke off. "I can't, Kels, I can't, please, don't make me."