Chapter 12

I had always wondered how ghosts had such a marvelous sense of direction. They always seemed to know where I was and chose the exact WRONG moment to sneak up on me. Over the years I had become used to this, however much I hated it. Yet that was not the case with Miranda. Maybe it was because she was slightly new at this whole "being dead" thing, but Miranda would come and go, and when she would reappear many days later she'd talk about how she had been trying to find me.

Personally, I love the days when she was gone. You can't blame me for that, I mean the girl did almost KILL me after all even though she claimed this was all a part of her big master plan to get me and Blaine talking. Back to the point--when Miranda was not around, I actually felt peaceful. Another thing ghosts seemed to know automatically was when I was already doing a job for someone else. They never bothered me when I was already helping someone, so let's just say that while helping Miranda, I tended to get a lot of free time. And I know I should have spent all that time doing homework or catching up on my grades, but I really didn't want to, despite my mother's anger.

Yes, I hadn't even been out of the hospital for two weeks from having almost died, and mother had begun to nag me about my schoolwork.

I knew I had to befriend Blaine, a plan I did not like too much, but had to follow through with anyway unless I wanted my head smashed through the bathroom wall again. 

I made my way to the other side of town where I had come first with Miranda a few weeks before. I was a bit scared honestly, seeing as how last time I was here some creep almost attacked me, but I held back my fear and marched into the bar.

It wasn't that crowded inside. There were some men scattered around, sitting at tables watching the game, sitting at the bar, and others were meddling with the karaoke machine. My eyes flew over the unfamiliar faces until they landed right on the one I had been looking for. Confidently, I strided over to where Blaine sat, alone at a table, and sat right across from him.

He looked up to see had sat down before looking down again. Once he realized what he saw, he looked back up at me in astonishment...and annoyance. "What are you doing here? You stalking me?"

I rolled my eyes. "Please, if I wanted to stalk somebody, it'd be somebody who's actually glamorous, like maybe Zac Efron or Chace Crawford. Not you."

He stared at me, his look of annoyance very obvious now. "Why are you here?" He asked through gritted teeth.

On the outside I probably looked composed but on the inside I was freaking out. Honestly I had not thought that far ahead. I don't know what exactly I was expecting to say to him, but I wasn't expecting this.

"What's wrong with your face?" He asked, genuinely interested. Okay, so maybe I didn't look quite as composed and well put together as I originally thought, but a smile suddenly appeared on my face as a lie popped into my head. I just prayed to whoever was listening that he would actually believe it.

"I have a report due."

He rolled his eyes. "Then go on and do it, and leave me alone."

I rolled my eyes. "It kind of involves you."

"Now why the hell would some stupid ass report you're working on have any damn thing to do with me?" He was angry as he leaned forward, glaring at me. "I just can't get rid of ya, can I?"

"I'm in journalism. God knows why, I mean I hate writing." I let out a chuckle but immediately cut it short when I caught sight of his expression. "Okay, well I have an assignment--"

"--you already said that--"

I ignored him with a huff. "--due really soon about important people in today's society. I chose nurses, so I choose you." I gave him my kindest smile, one that tends to work on most people.