Chapter Five

" I will not stand for this!"

  Dari paced her room, fuming as her mother sat calmly on her bed.  Aldrea sighed.

 " Dari, please sit down."

  Dari whirled around, seething with rage. " Sit down? I will not sit down! Father has given me no say whatsoever in this matter. He's treating me like a child when I'm the princess of the Fire Clan!'"

 She stalked over to her balcony, resting her hands on the railing. Below, Delano soldiers walked the grounds in full armor and weapons. Dari's eyes narrowed. " These brutes have no right to be on our planet mother! They crashed their huge ship in our garden, and have brought nothing but trouble."

  " Now Dari, you know that we have to give everyone a chance..."

  " They don't deserve a chance!" Dari screamed. " They killed half our guard!"

  Aldrea nodded, motioning Dari over. She sighed, coming to sit by her mother. " I don't trust them. And Dad shouldn't either."

  " I know sweetie. But your father is king. You have to respect his decision, no matter what it is."

   King Edric and General Nero had undoubtably been discussing since the early morning about plans and arrangements, much to Dari's dismay. She liked the Delano even less than the Water Clan at moment, with the havoc they'd caused the night before at her coronation. The one night she was going to shine and accept the honor of princess, and it'd been ruined by a race of war-mongering aliens. She held her head in her hands. God, it just wasn't fair sometimes.

  Aldrea stroked Dari's blazing red hair, closing her eyes as she reviewed in thought.  " I'm not happy about this either Dari, but we know next to nothing about these people. We have to decide where to go from here with them.  You need to understand, as princess, you do have a say in what goes on here.  But this matter is for your father to handle as king.  It's just too complicated sweetie."

  " I suppose..."

  Suddenly, the two heard a knock on the door.  Dari turned, seeing one of the remaining guards opening the door.

  Aldrea stood up, smoothing out her dress.  " Yes?"

  The guard straightened, standing at attention. " The king has requested your presence in a meeting downstairs in the dining hall."

 Dari looked at her mother, Aldrea setting a hand on her shoulder to assure her things were alright.  "Of course. I'll go immediately," she nodded, moving toward the door.

  However, the guard stopped her.  " No, your majesty, the both of you are requested to attend."

  He looked over at the heir to the empire who looked back at him quizzically.  "Yourself and Princess Dari."

...............................................................................................

  " Head up, chin high. Just relax sweetheart. You're princess, remember."

   Dari straightened the crown on her now tamed hair, pulling at the sleeve of her dress. Aldrea smacked her hand away, pinching her back so she stood up straight. Dari winced, trying to put her nerves at ease. She wasn't happy her first royal meeting was under such crucial circumstances, but she was prepared for whatever happened.  At least she hoped.

  " But slouch, and there'll be more pinches coming."

  She rolled her eyes, standing tall as they approuched the giant double doors of the dining hall.  The two guards who stood post nodded at the two, turning and swinging the doors open, and Dari and her mother entered.