Chapter Four

sorry for the long wait on uploading guys, but i've been more busy with school than I thought. trust me, me and lyricaljade have been swamped, espescially with algebra. thanks for everyone whos been following me.  you guys just completely make my day. oh, and check out the stuff ruthlesswriter has written. hes one of my friends from school, and he's awesome. talk to you after chapter four of burning bright!

..........................................................................................................................................................

  Dari sat at the vanity in her bedroom, the party below in the main hall blaring dance music. She suspected at least half the city had shown up by now, and it was only 6:30! She was supposed to make an entrance at 6:45, and the crowning would begin at 7:15. They'd originally planned for her to come down to the party at 7:00, but due to all the people who had arrived so early, they'd had to have her come out early.

  She rubbed a little bit of brown powder onto her eyelid, smoothing out her hair that hung loose down her back. The red hair was her trademark, and she'd decided she wanted it undone and out of the bun her mother's stylist had recommended. She thought it had looked better that way with the dress Lydia had given her.

  Suddenly, she heard a knock at her bedroom door.

 " Come in!"

  Star pushed inside, smiling as she saw her sister in her gorgeous outfit.

  " Hey Dari!" she said, coming over to sit on the bed. She wore a flowery yellow dress that hung down to her tiny little ankles. The top was bejeweled with silvery beads that worked well with the warm toned dress. The sleeves puffed out, then went straight along her arms. Below, she had accessorized a pair of metallic silver flats, since she was too young for heels. All in all, the little girl looked adorable.

  Star swung her legs back and forth, looking at her big sister in awe. " Dari, you look like a real princess."

  Dari nodded at her sister. " Thanks munchkin. Guess that's what I'm gonna be after the ceremony, if everything goes well." She plucked at the string on her strappy golden heels. She'd had to practice a whole day just to stand up in the torture devices, much less walk in them. But Mother had said they went perfectly with the dress, as did Lydia (and Nicklus, who only wanted to see Dari walk in the ridiculous things), so she'd been overruled. She still didn't like the idea of wearing them in front of the whole city. Even if they weren't all attending, there were still VidScreens hanging from the central tower.  It was only used for important events like the crowning, and they were yet another invention the other clans didn't have.

  Star looked at her sister again, sighing. " I wish I could be like you Dari."

  Dari stopped, turning to face the little girl. " W-what?"

  Star looked up at her again, giving her a shy smile. " I want to be just like you. You're beautiful, and strong, and kind. You're perfect in every way."

  Dari walked over to the bed, sitting by her sister. " Thank you Star." She ruffled the little girl's hair, grinning as she giggled, amazed at how wrong the little girl was.

  " Am I really gonna get to serve by you?"

  Dari laughed at Star's anxiety. " Yeah, totally. Whatever I do, you get to approve. You'll be like, my right hand girl. You and me, we'll get to travel all over the Fire Clan cities and see everything. Won't it be great?"

  " But Dari?" Star asked. " Will I see you? I mean, I'm not a princess for another eight years. You get to help Daddy and travel with them until then. What if I lose you forever?"