The Directive: The Dream....*Not Chapter Eleven*

Teaser to Novella 2 due out whenever I'm inspired to write this series again.

            “Rise and shine,” were the words that awoke Phillip as he rose in the land of white, but despite the confusion that boiled inside his mind his tired eyes cleared when the red blazer danced in eyes.  The slap was firm as he gasped in response.  “Where am I,” he remarked.

            “You’re in my world now, princess,” the voice bit.  “So take a moment to get your thoughts together before we continue forward.”

            “The last I remember was taking my seat on the bus, and after that it’s a bit of a blank.”

            Instantly the pearly bench shook as the short frame sat down.  “Take a moment and it’ll come back to you,” the person scoffed.

             “The hills,” Phillip groggily groaned.  “That’s we were headed.”

            Applause followed the moment of enlightenment.  “Good boy, Mr. Heartthrob seems like you’re not a lost cause after all.  Yet we’re still missing people, recall Ms. Ridge and Mr. Taylor?”

            “Yeah,” he nervously followed.

            “That’s good at least we’re showing progress.  So do you recall why Mr. Taylor took a leave of absence?”

            “He was disappointed in the way I viewed Ava,” he sighed in return.  “But it wasn’t really that big of a deal, right?”

            “And that’s where you’re wrong,” the teenage voice snapped.  “Everything is of importance, and if you forget this grand rule then you’re surely bound to fail.”

            “I guess so,” he exhaled.  “But again where am I?”

            Flames danced inside of the orbs of brown, until the firm hand reconnected to his face.  “That’s immaterial Mr. Heartthrob.  What matters most is that our therapy goes well.”

            “Don’t you mean rehab,” he snapped as the facts dawned upon his mind.  “You’re not fooling anyone Lowery.  So why not just admit it, I’m flawed and I need proper treatment.”

            Although Phillip felt awkward the stiff laughs that escaped Lowery’s lips lessoned the atmosphere just a smidge.  “The reason I side stepped the issue is quite simple honestly.  I had to remove all of the useless crap in the way before going further.  Then once that’s handled it’s up to you to make the decision whether to fall through the cracks, or do something productive with the remainder of your life.  However recall the choice is yours.”

            “Yeah,” he sighed in return.  “But I think it would’ve made more sense to just say Phillip you’re flawed.  I mean you’re so jaded in your approaches, yet somehow you still get the job done without too many flaws.”

            “Like hell,” Lowery moaned.  “There are countless problems that I encounter; the main cause is lack of information.  I swear if Ms. Pearson doesn’t start prepping me better for the cases, then I may have to resort to going old school again.”

            “Old school,” Phillip questioned.

            “Yep,” Lowery bellowed.  “There were times before I had my trusty assistant by my side.  Oh the horror of being so unorganized!  But once she entered my life the task became a bit easier.”

            “Does that mean there’s hope for you to ever admit your feelings for her,” he pried.

            “Shut it,” Lowery bit.  “My relationship with Ms. Pearson is irrelevant at this juncture; now back to the issues at hand.  There is apparently something now being said, and Mr. Taylor claimed that if you wanted to know the truth then you have to ask Ms. Vice.  However that foul creature scares the crap out of me.  So I’ll leave the data collection to you.”

            “Gee thanks,” he sarcastically followed.  “Let me guess you’re jumping on the bandwagon of calling Lea a dragon?”

            “Ms. Vice is a hideous creature that would terrify even the toughest jock at Farrow High.  I feel there’s no possible way to see her on a good day.  Which is why, I would advise you not to leave my tale open near her, since the flames will definitely scorch the pages.”

            “So says you,” Phillip replied.  “But despite her flaws I still think she’s a beautiful person underneath them.”

            Once more the rigid smack connected to his face as the words poured from Lowery’s lips.  “You’re a flawed man Mr. Heartthrob.  But remember when you awaken from this dream to close the text upon your slumbering body.  After that I say enjoy your three weeks of hell in Beverly Hills.”

            “Yeah right,” he scoffed.  “There’s nothing to enjoy, when the most interesting part of your trip is dreaming.”

            “Could’ve been worse,” Lowery snickered.  “You could’ve awoken in poverty, instead of this pastel world with only me to keep you company.  Yet I do worry about your sanity if you’re able to dream of me in such detail.”

            “That’ll be another entry on the to-do list while I’m home.  I wonder if I’ll even have an ounce of time with my parents.  But what concerns me most is what’ll happen to my allergy without Ava.”

            “You’re too conceited,” Lowery spat.  “Focus on the world around you for once Mr. Heartthrob.  And once you do this you’ll finally feel your heart pound for the ones that actually care about you.  However I wouldn’t advise to try and force your evolution too soon, since the best result comes with time far greater than a few days or even a few months.”

            “Always so wise aren’t you Lowery, but I get it,” he sighed in reply.  “Take proper time to work on myself, and hopefully I’ll be a better man at the end right?”

            “Actually what I meant was that you’ll never reach the point that most crave you to be.  But don’t fret; even with all of your flaws you’ll be able to find happiness one day.  Yet I would advise seeing the wicked witch first, and seeing if she can lift your curse.”

            “That old hag won’t do it,” he moaned.  “Swear I’ll find a way around this curse somehow with or without her help.”

            “Oh this will end badly,” Lowery whispered as he like the world around him faded when Phillip’s eyes slowly cracked.