Caffé-de-mancy - Tetsuya Kuroko

"Here you go, sir, a cappuccino with half the sweetness.  Thank you for your purchase," you smile at the customer as he exits the cafe.  Glancing at the clock, you realize that it's 3:58 PM.  Two more minutes until the usual...

You busied yourself with cleaning the counter of any spills when the bells by the door signaled another customer.  "Ah, hey, Kuroko-san," you cheerfully smiled, nodding.  "The usual?"

"A latte with twice the amount of milk and a slice of strawberry shortcake," was the monotone reply you received as you punched it into the cash register, with your automatic reply of: "Three dollars and seven cents."

After paying, he added on a side note, "Ah, last week's prediction failed again, (f/n)-chan."

It was one of those peaceful Saturdays again which made you feel at ease since your week usually consisted of daily tennis practices and tutoring sessions at Seirin High.  On top of that, you had this part time job at Pallacanestro Cafe since you wanted to earn some extra pocket money to buy gifts and little trinkets once in a while.  However, thankfully the cafe was never too busy when you were working, so you could take it easy.  And always on the dot, that phantom basketball player from your school would appear magically and order his usual and even sometimes would bring that cute dog of his.  However, today Tetsuya #2 wasn't accompanying him, you noted with a slight sigh of disappointment.

And then the question suddenly struck you as you started making a small dog with the milk in Kuroko's drink.  Since when did he start coming here in the first place?  You couldn't recall the actual day he suddenly started becoming a regular, but you could recall many occasions where you accidentally ignored him when he was trying to order.  Now that you thought about it...he was taller than you, yet you still saw right through him at times and it wasn't even on purpose.

Finishing your last touches on the Tetsuya #2 in the coffee, you proudly walked over to the blue-haired boy who was absorbed in staring outside and set the coffee and cake before him.  "Here you go."  Then, you added on a shyer note, "Ah...do you mind...if I try again today?  I think I'll get it right this time!" you grinned enthusiastically.

He gave a slight smile, tilting his head in acknowledgement to you as he picked up his coffee.

While working in the Pallacanestro Cafe, one of your co-workers had taught you to read coffee fortunes.  However, you were horrible at it.  You were 99% inaccurate - the only time you read a correct fortune was Kuroko's fortune about him winning the practice basketball game against Kaijo High.  However, despite the failure that prevailed for the longest time, Kuroko never asked for anyone else to read his fortune.  It was a given at the cafe that coffee fortunes came free with a purchase, so he never thought it was a bother whenever you asked to try again.

You were convinced that this time, you would get it right since you were wearing your lucky socks and had no accidents that day.  It just had to be today.  So when Kuroko suddenly appeared behind you as you wiped tables, tapping your shoulder and scaring you straight out of your mind, you put on a determined face and flipped his cup upside down.

After a few moments, you flipped it right side up and glanced inside to see the coffee grounds that were left.

Well, this was interesting.  You were biting your lip as you stared into his cup.  Should I lie...?  Should I tell him this fortune...?-

"What is it, (f/n)-san?" Kuroko was staring at you with an intensity that made you slightly nervous.

"W-Well," you fiddled with the cup's handle.  "It's a...a heart.  Which means...you have someone in mind that you're thinking fondly of...?  And you're fortune is that...you'll be successful with them..."

You didn't know how to respond when he smiled suddenly and nodded.  "Hmm, seems like I'll be having good luck...with my person in mind," he added at the last minute.

"Wait...what?" you blinked owlishly.  Had you heard him correctly at the end, when he said...

Kuroko just smiled mysteriously and slipped something into your apron pocket as he stood and left.  "Thank you," he nodded and exited the cafe.

Your fingers delved into your pocket, brushing against a small folded paper.

His phone number.

===

OMAKE:

The bell rang again.  It was four o'clock, and you blushed, not daring to turn to look at the door.  However, the familiar voice made you turn with a shy smile as he said, "Your prediction came true, (f/n)-san."

"I-I'm glad," you sheepishly rubbed the back of your head as you walked over to the cash register to ring up his order.  "The usual?"

"How do you like your latte?" Kuroko suddenly asked, staring at you.

"A-Ah, with half the sweetness...?" you mumbled, confused at his question.

"Then, two lattes, one with double the milk and the other with half the sweetness, and two slices of strawberry shortcake.  And of course, your company," he grinned slightly.  "I'll make my own prediction come true today."

=======================

NEXT ONE SHOT:  KISE RYOUTA