Chapter 11

I was totally astonished at the sight of Sandro standing in front of me at a very unexpected time. He was wearing a plain white V-neck shirt topped with a black jacket. He brushed his hair with his hand so effortlessly. I felt the warm blood slowly creeping to my face. I was flushing.

Why did he always have to appear all of a sudden? I didn’t know what to say. Was he making a move? Or was he just doing that because it’s him? It’s really what he normally does when he wants to. I was so nervous that I could not move.

“How do you know I was gonna--,” I stopped for a while. This popping-out-anywhere incidents/coincidences are starting to bug me out. “Why are you here? Were you waiting for me?”

Napadaan lang,” his cold answer. “But yeah I’ve been here for 30 minutes.”

“Why? You need anything from me?” My automatic response.

“You said you’re going out at 7. I’m picking you up.”

I stared straight at him and saw him looking back at me. But why was there no meaning in his eyes. I looked away. “Sorry, this confuses me--”

“Really? I thought I surprised you.”

“Yes, indeed, I’m surprised. But—what’s the sense?” Did you plan to surprise me? Effective plan.

He got a helmet from the motorcycle he was leaning on. He handed it to me. “Wear that and hop on.”

“Where are you taking me—I mean, where are we going?”

“Get-together. I figured that since I was borrowing my cousin’s motorcycle from his shop, why not come by and pick you up, so we can go together,” he explained as he hopped on and twisted the key.

Why do you bother? I was still hesitant and afraid I would be out-of-placed in the group. But what was that compared to the chance of being with him? I asked him why he wanted me to go.

He said, “Wala lang. I just think you need to unwind.” He paused as if he was finding more words to say. “Wag ka mag-alala, ‘di kita nililigawan, if that’s what confuses you. Don’t even think about that.” Then he turned his back.

My mouth opened in shock as my heart seemed to constrict for a while. He pierced and awaken my consciousness with those words. Indeed, he was just being him and he’s not making any move towards me. He made it crystal clear. But it actually confused me more. Hindi pa man, basted na agad ako, puta!

I pretended not to care and laughed. “Of course I would never think about that! You, bastard!” Then I hopped on his motorcycle and we drove away.

I would be lying to myself if I would not care. I could not help but think about it. Did he just shut his door and tell me to stay at the pavement? Was I being friendzoned that early?

On the road, I told him I was hungry and I had not eaten anything. We stopped by KFC and ordered food. Fast food again. How kuripot could this man be? I wanted a tub of ice cream to calm me down from that crashing sensation brought by his unanticipated words.

I ate a fully loaded meal. I was already thinking twice of going with him. I could not continue being with him at this state of mind. Don’t even think about that. It was resounding. Oh, the thought of being courted by the man I ever wished for...it should vanish.