Chapter 6

Nothing.

Not even an exchange of cell numbers after the dance.

So how in the world could I see him again?

Or maybe, we’re not destined to see each other again. It must be the last. Then maybe, I would wait for another 12 years. Hay...I knew it! It was just like that poor little Cinderella story—minus Prince Charming. Yeah, he was charming but he’s not my prince, no matter how I hoped he would be.

“Carol, where are you? I have been waiting for almost an hour.”

“I’m so sorry, Betchay! Ten minutes, please. God! Traffic in EDSA is terrible.”

I strolled around the Sci-Fi books section of the bookstore. I was not sure what I was looking for. I’m not really an avid reader. But during those times, maybe I gotta grab a book and read something while waiting for my best friend.

So I went pass some shelves to look for a Nicholas Spark or E.L. James novel. As I was looking for a book, I passed by a shelf and—Oh my! Is that--shit? I quickly turned my back and hid at one of the shelves. It was Sandro reading a book!

There went my heart again, pounding like a drum. Why do I always feel nervous in his presence?

Why, of all places, you have to appear here? I bit my lower lip and closed my eyes as if I was hiding from a hired killer who wants to salvage me. I peeked over to see him and he’s still busy reading and listening to his iPod while sitting on the floor. He was wearing a gray shirt and a black maong pants, top sider shoes and...shades? Who wears shades inside a mall? Artista ang peg? But his appeal was just so attractive and he looked incredibly hot like a Korean superstar.

I bent down and almost crawled at the back of the shelf in front of him. I tiptoed, took another peek at him and stared longer.

“Excuse me, miss. Kukuha ako ng libro,” a customer said to me.

As I pulled myself back, a number of books fell so I picked them up one by one. When I went back to take a peek of him, he’s already gone.

“Shit! Sayang, dapat nilapitan ko na s’ya. But I’m shy,” I whispered to myself.

I turned around and saw him standing behind the shelf in front of me. I was already seeing him face to face but he didn’t seem to notice me. Maybe because I was short and he’s tall. He was busy choosing another book.

Sige na, Elizabeth. Pansinin mo na s’ya. Sige na, baka mawala na naman s’ya sa paningin mo. Was that my love conscience?

I cleared my throat and got a book. Then I greeted him.

“SJ, is that you,” I said in a soft high-pitched tone. What the hell happened with my voice? But he didn’t hear me. Oh I forgot he had his ear buds.  Ano ba ‘yan, nasa harapan na nga n’ya ko, hindi n’ya pa rin ako makita. Double meaning.

I extended my right hand and waved in front of his face and there he saw me. He pulled out his ear buds and shades to face me.

“Hi!” I greeted again.

“Hey! Buying a book?” he asked in his always astig and mayabang tone.

Oh my God, I’m so flattered. Thank you for asking. “Ah—yes. Here.” I showed him the book I was holding. “How about you?”

“Yup,” his very matipid answer.

“Hmm...so, who’s with you?” He just shrugged his shoulders. “I see. Well, I gotta go to the cashier. I guess, I’ll just see you around again. Or maybe not. Haha whatever,” my awkward statement. It was so much embarrassment. I just knew I had to run away.

I was already walking away when he asked me, “May kasama ka?”

I was a little stunned but I faced him, “Ah wala pa but I’m actually waiting for my best friend.”

We went to the cashier and paid.

He asked me again, “Anong oras darating ‘yung hinihintay mo?

“I don’t know. Maybe, any minute now.” My phone vibrated so I checked for the text message. “Oh shit! She said she’s having an emergency and she can’t come anymore. Hay...sayang. So, I guess, I’ll be all alone.”

But the text actually read: “Girl, I’m already in the parking lot. Five more minutes.”

Lord, please, please make him invite me somewhere. A lunch perhaps? I’m so sorry for lying. But please, please, I’m begging You.

“Have you had your lunch?” Sandro asked.

Sakto! You’re the best, Lord! My subconscious shouted. “Hindi pa nga, eh.

“I’m hungry. Pwede mo ba ‘kong samahang kumain? If that’s okay with you,” he asked again.

Yeeesss!!! Thank you, Lord!!! Ang lakas ko talaga Sa’yo!!! I thought as if I were able to get that sweet victory in UAAP basketball championship. “Sure! I’m also hungry.” OMG! Is this actually a date? Is this considered as one?

I excused myself for a while to go to the restroom and called Carol to tell her that I was having an emergency—but I didn’t tell her it’s actually an emergency date.

“Where do you want to eat,” I asked. “There’s Sbarro, Bigoli, there’s also Yakimix if you’re so hungry. Oh and there are also restaurants outside if you—“

“Jollibee na lang,” he answered.

What the—first date...sa Jollibee?? Seryoso?? Ganyan ka ba ka-kuripot?

***