The Secrets

" Of course, she din't do anything." Medea chuckled. " She doesn't even know why I cursed her in the first place! But you do." She glared at the King and the cowering Queen.

" Medea, why won't you leave us alone? What's past is past!" the king roared.

" Medea, please." the queen cried.

" And now, look who's begging! Before, I begged you not to hang him, but you did! " tears streamed down her angry face. " You did!"

" He was a criminal, Medea! He killed innocent people!"

" Roberto was my husband! Even though he left with nothing, he is still my husband! I was still hoping he would walk throught the door, still hoping he would come back and see how his son had grown! But he didn't and he never will! Because of you. You hanged him, you killed him. And now, I will never see a tired man from work enter my house. I will never see the man I love return. Because he's six feet under the earth!" Medea trembled as she spoke these words.

" But why do you have to take my daughter away? Why didn't you take me instead?" the king cried.

" I realized she is very precious to you. My darling boy here, helped me all the way. When your princess went away in search of me, I told Darien to wait for her in the woods the next day, and pretend that he was a commoner. But he's never a commoner, he's a son of a witch! And a clever one at that. I told him to gain the princess' trust, and little did I know he fell in love with her!" Medea laughed madly.

" Mother, stop it." Darien said with clenched fists. " Take back the curse now."

" What's that, darling? Take back the curse? Why, Darien! Have you grown soft? Do you even think it was love she felt for you? No! It was pity! Pity for the boy who was just a son of a carpebter and a witch! Pity for the boy who can't sweep the princess off her feet! Pity for the boy who betrayed the kingdom! You stupid boy! I---"

Medea's eyes grew larger. 

Sabia fluttered her eyes open.

She was alive.