The Surprise

Edit: November 13th, 2020

I paced backstage. I was anxious to see my brother again. I hadn't seen him since his daughters' fourth birthday. It had started off well. Until his bitch of an ex wife showed up. God I hate her......

~~~~~~

I was chasing Bella and few of the kids around the yard. Charlie and the dads were by the grill. The moms were by the picnic tables, gossiping and setting the table. I had managed to grab Bella when a black SUV pulled up. I told the kids to go by the adults, while I greeted Renee.

"What're you doing here, Renee?" I asked in a cold voice.

"I'm here to pick up my daughter."

"Yeah...I don't think so."

After that, Renee and I got in heated argument. Had it not been the fact that kids were present, I would've socked her in the face.

~~~~~~~

Of course, I kept in touch with my brother via letters or phone calls. After I joined the Marines, it got a little harder, but I sent letters when I could. During my last tour, Charlie told me how Bella moved in with him. I could tell that he was happy. I was happy that he was. I hadn't seen him happy in a long time.

But things turned for the worse, when he told me that Bella's boyfriend had left her. Leaving her in a catatonic state. I had tried talking to her during one of my rare phone calls home. She just screamed at me that she wasn't leaving before hanging up.

Over the weeks Charlie, told me that Bella managed find a friend to help her through it. That was the last time I heard from him. Now, I was pacing back stage in the gym of the high school, trying not to panic. However, when I heard my brother being called to the stage.

"Chief Swan, you have worked tirelessly for this town, time and time again. You've been there when we've needed you. You've done so much for us. It's time for us to do something for you. Presenting you with the esteemed Chief of Police award, is Corporal Ivy 'Bellatrix' Swan."

I took a deep breath, before talking the plaque and walking out. The look on my brother's face was priceless. When I reached him, he wrapped his arms around me. Squeezing the living daylights out of me.

"Charlie, I need to breathe." I said breathlessly. 

"Sorry." He said, chuckling.

.........

After the party, Charlie took me to his house.

"It's so good to see you." He said, as we walked into the house.

"It's good to see you, too. Where's Bella?" I asked.

"She's with her boyfriend." He grumbled.

"Oh? Is it a new boy, or....?"

He sighed, and sat down at the kitchen table, rubbing his hands on his face.

"No it's the same one."

My blood ran cold.

"You mean to tell me, that she's back with bastard who left her!?" I hissed.

I gripped the handle of my bag hard enough to the point where a couple of threads popped loose.

"Yeah. I don't get what she see in him."

I put my stuff down, and wrapped my arms around his shoulders.

"It'll be alright Charlie. I'll talk to her. You go watch a game, while I go take a shower. Okay?"

We parted ways, and I went upstairs to take a shower. Thinking all the while about how my conversation with my niece is gonna go.