Battling Fear - Chapter 2

Cass made her way downstairs for a quick breakfast before beginning the day. As she reached the kitchen she was shooed out by Sue, Missy, and September.

“The work day hasn’t started yet. Your still on pampering time.” Missy instructed.

“Go sit in the dining room breakfast will be brought out to you.” Sue completed Missy’s statement. Cass opened her mouth to argue but didn’t even get a word out.

“Now! Otherwise you will get no help from anyone to do the work you want to do today.” September enforced with a point at the door. Knowing when she was beat at her own game Cass slowly slunk out of the room and into the dining room.

Within a matter of minutes the three women walked in carrying enough food for an army. After they had placed the food on the table, they set about placing plates at each setting. As they left all the men who had worked with Cass yesterday entered and took their seats.

“They wouldn’t let you in the kitchen either?” Comber questioned Cass.

“Evidently, we are still under pampering orders. So let’s eat then get to work. I want to try to get more people alerted to the shelter over on Chapel Hill. Get as many items as we can in to stock it and close any security leaks Max found last night.” Cass replied.

“Some of those who put up here temporarily are moving on over to Chapel Hill today. They have their clothes packed and are waiting for us to go with them to get household items to stock it.” Zalazar informed Cass.

“They have volunteers lined up to help them load and haul supplies once we clear the house.” Coulter added.

“Sounds like a good place to start. Thirty minutes and we will get out of here. Let’s make this food disappear.” Cass replied.

“I’m with that!” All the men replied at once. As they set and ate, Andrew entered the room and set down next to Cass.

“I just wanted to let you know. Your work in this area has been amazing. If you ever want to become a hunter after this is over, I would be more than happy to recommend you. With your brains, fighting skills, and leadership skills; you could be the biggest asset to the hunting community this century.” Andrew told her.

“I will take that as a compliment but I don’t think I would be comfortable with leaving my family behind.” Cass answered truthfully.

“After this I seriously doubt that the leave your family behind rule will be a factor. Vampires, slaves, and hunters are kind of becoming public knowledge now. The need for secrecy is no longer going to be an issue.” Andrew replied.

“I really don’t know if I am cut out for a life fighting vampires. It is way out of my league.” Cass rejected his offer once more.

“Actually, as you’re discovering the same skills that make you an excellent sheriff will make you an excellent hunter.” Andrew tried once more.

“Andrew, I appreciate your wanting me on your team. It really is a compliment but right now all I am concerned with is keeping my community safe. That is the job I am paid to do and it is the job I am good at. What happens after all this is over, I have no idea but I will face it when it comes and not before, because honestly I don’t have the time to worry about it.” Cass finally broke.

“Alright, alright! Don’t get your panties in an uproar. I will drop it for now. We will see what happens after all this is over. Just know the offer still stands and is always open. Friends?” Andrew caved.

“Friends, now can I eat in peace?” Cass queried.

“Yea, I think that can be arranged.” Andrew answered as he made to stand up and leave the group alone to eat. Last thing he wanted was an angry woman with a gun looking to put a bullet in his hide. That thought was more frightening than taking on a rouge vampire.

“Not so fast!” Cass interrupted his exit. “Grab a plate and have some breakfast with us. You will be staying at Chapel Hill tonight and I am not sure if all the cooking facilities will be up so get some hot meals while you can.”

“You do worry about everyone and not just your close friends and family. Do you realize how unique that makes you, Cass?” Andrew looked at her while he wondered if he would ever understand what made women like her tick.

“I don’t know about everyone, since I haven’t met everyone but yes, I do care for people. I never thought it made me any more special than anyone else though.” Cass answered.

“That’s one of the things I love about you Cass. Here you are this terrific woman and yet you are so humble and down to earth.” Andrew replied. As he spoke laughter erupted from the door. All eyes turned to the door at the sound of laughter to see Berry buckled over laughing so hard his face was redder than the tomato slices sitting on the table.

“I’m sorry! But Andrew sweet talk like that is not going to win you points with Cass.” Berry spoke breathlessly through the laughs.

“The truth’s the truth; she can take it or leave it.” Andrew joined in on the laugh.

“Alright enough fooling around, Berry get in here eat we got a lot to do today and not much time to get started.” Cass laughingly joined in.

“I ate earlier. You know Andrew is right; you are a very unique woman and special to all of us. I just came in to tell you everyone else is ready when you guys are.” Berry stated.

“Thanks, Berry, we are just finishing up. Be out there in just a few minutes.” Cass informed him. As she began hurriedly clearing her plate the men followed her lead and soon they were all exiting the dining room and heading toward the front entrance.

Entering the front room, Cass was amazed at the number of people gathered. She knew her house was big but where had they all been hiding. Cass attempted to get a head count but they were moving too much so she gave up. Then she noticed Garrett and Missy in the group preparing to leave. Both had backpacks on their backs.

Cass began making her way through the crowd to her sister. It was harder than she ever thought to make it through her living room. Making her way through she spotted Sue hugging one of the young men good bye. She couldn’t remember having seen him before but evidently Sue knew him. She would have to remember to ask Sue, later, who it was.

Seeing Cass was in the room they all started exiting the door. Cass felt herself being pulled with the tide right out her front door. As the tide ebbed, she was finally able to reach Missy.

“Melissa Ann Bullock where do you think you are going?” Cass questioned her little sister.

“I’m going to stay a few days at Chapel Street but I will be back. It’s safe Cass so stop worrying.” Missy replied.

“I know it is safe but I am upset that you didn’t tell me. It makes me mad that you let me find out this way.” Cass replied.

“Actually, until thirty minutes ago I wasn’t planning on going. Then I got to thinking, I graduated from that school. I worked in that school. I did my teachers training in that school. I know the building inside out. The knowledge may come in handy in setting up the shelter.” Missy stated.

“You’re right. Just be careful. I will check in on you later. Just don’t forget this is your home.” Cass stated.

“I won’t.” Missy replied as she hugged her sister. Cass noticed that everyone had climbed into their car. She motioned for Missy to go ahead. As a line of cars formed heading from Cass’s house to Chapel Street. Cass got in the truck and joined the last of the line, praying that they were doing the right thing as she started out on the day’s adventure.