Part Two - Eirah - Chapter 10

Chapter Ten

I leave the palladium. I have too many questions in my head, so I step off the path until I reach the spongy grass beneath my feet, damp with early morning dew.

Under the moonlight I walk along the silvery path until I come to the meadow. I lie down and look up to the sky; the constellations stretching across the dark canvas for as far as I can see. I recognise all the zodiac constellations, marking them out with my finger raised in the air. Tiredness weighs my bones down, drawing me into the cool grass like a soft bed. My eyes feel heavy but I keep looking up, and that’s when I think I see him. The stars aligned in his perfect figure, riding on horseback in search of his next adventure. I convince myself that he is trying to find me, but he’ll never find me here. Two lonely souls in worlds separated by an invisible void.

In Halneon, all is calm and tranquil; there is no hate, no disease, no greed. I suppose, it is the perfect place, but my heart yearns for more. The fire inside me burns for every experience that a full life provides.

I feel my eyes close as visions of myself dancing and laughing and running with him form a whole new world in my mind. I’ve never known true freedom, and my obsession with pursuing it and finding it yearns for an end. But, for now, this is as free as I can be; here in my mind. This is all I’ve known. I know that these feelings shouldn’t exist in Halneon. I know that, in this world, we are born into the most important thing there is: a family, and that is all that we can have, that is all that we are, and that will never change. We have a duty to fulfil here.

But I know that I was born to be the other girl; the girl who is free, who belongs to no one but could belong to him, if she wanted to, and for him to belong to her. All I’ve ever wanted is to be the girl who can love and be loved in return.