Part Two - Eirah - Chapter 5

PART TWO - EIRAH

Chapter 5

I didn’t know when this day would come, but I have been waiting for it for long enough.

I catch her lost hand in the water and seize her wrists, pulling her with all my strength and heaving her out of the water. Careful not to let my dress fall dip into the water, I lay her down in the long, soft grass, resting her head in my trembling, slender hands. Her face; it’s so much like mine, only narrower; her cheekbones protrude high on her face. The cut in her cheek seems to split right across her face, and the blood still feels warm under my fingertips. I study the deep redness on the palm my own hand. Her face looks so peaceful and pure, despite all that her tired soul has seen. I rest my palm on her uncut cheek; she won’t rise for several more hours.

What does this mean, I ask myself.For years I’ve longed that we would be face to face with each other, talking to each other, but I never knew it would be possible.

I collect some shenti leaves from the trees nearby and form a small bed for her to rest in until she wakes. I need to tell Jenna.

I head back towards the path anxiously, where I cross Calida, sitting upon a rock with her legs crossed as she hunches over her hands like she usually does; she spends hours making bracelets from the flowers and grasses of the forest floor. A crunch under my foot startles her and she twists around. Suddenly she beams at me with her pixie-like smile and wide green eyes.

“Morning Cali,” I whisper, trying to disguise my hesitance. “Do you know where Jenna is?”

“Try the central orchard. She usually goes there at this time, when it’s most quiet. Peyton and I were going to meet at the fern for tonight, shall we wait for you too?”

I had completely forgotten. Today is the first day of the festival for the new Millenium.

“Uh, yeah, see you then,” I utter distractedly.

“We’ll be there at moonrise, don’t keep us waiting!” she smiles as she looks back down to her work.

I find Jenna at the central orchard, telepathizing, with the back of her silver-blonde hair glinting under the starlight. Just before I turn away so as not to disturb her, she calls for me. I forget she can sense my presence.

“You know better than to sneak up on me, young Miss. What is it, Eirah?” she speaks knowingly. She always seems to know who’s watching her.

“Jenna, she’s here…” I say in what is almost a whisper. Something tells me she’s opened her eyes, but she remains still and silent for a moment.

“Where is she?” she says abruptly, under her breath.

“She’s by the lake, she hasn’t woken up yet”.

“Eirah, you must listen carefully. Once she’s awake, we must inform the Praefectus of her presence in Halneon,” I nod, and let Jenna return to her duty.

When I return to Lara, I rush to her side to see that her face is moist with blood as the open wound begins to weep again. Her breathing is slow and irregular; she’s sick. I have to get her to the palladium immediately, but how? What would I say? She begins to cough in her unconsciousness as she struggles to breath. Trying to keep calm, I lift her in my arms with all my strength, but she is lighter than I had imagined. I pull her carefully but swiftly through the grass, until I can lock my arms under her knees and behind her back to carry her full weight, trying to ignore the strain in my limbs as my whole body heaves forwards. She feels so small.

All those times I’ve seen the world through her eyes; her world. But now she lies in my arms, and there’s no way of knowing what she’s thinking or feeling. It terrifies me.

All I had wanted was some time for us alone, to finally meet, after all this time.