[16] Let the Exams Begin!

Start from the beginning

Bunko covered her mouth. "Hehe, I'm sorry! It's only because you don't give yourself much credit."

Kohana wrinkled her nose and ruffled the back of her head, only to comb her messed up red hair after with her hands. "Never mind that. I don't think I'm ever going to change."

"Hmm... you're right. Hey, you know about the Chūnin Exams?"

Kohana nodded, her mood instantly brightening. "Yeah! Actually, Kakashi-sensei recommended us!"

This caused Bunko to blink several times until she stood up, taking a step backwards in complete and utter disbelief. "So that's what's been bothering Iruka so much! That idiot recommended three rookies! she nearly screamed.

"You know him?"

"Yes! When I used to be a ninja, we went on missions together." Kohana blanked. Small, small village.

Wait...

"Why's Iruka-sensei bothered? Is it that big of a deal that rookies are taking the examinations?

As if only realizing what she had just said, Bunko's current expression turned sheepish as she tugged at a lock of her hair. She was the person Kohana had picked that habit from. "Well, the Chūnin Exams are... at the very least, dangerous. Many people have died during the exams, Kohana. It's been a long time since rookies were last nominated. We had some extremely promising rookies last year, but even their hot-blooded sensei deemed them unfit to join."

Kohana took in Bunko's grave expression. She wasn't exaggerating. What about Sakura? Should she tell her? Sakura had every right to know. They were going to be fighting with their lives at stake again. This time, within Konoha. Wasn't that ironic.

"Are you entering?" Bunko asked.

Kohana thought back on the night before and the decision she'd made.

No; there was no doubt in her mind. She made her decision and she wasn't going to turn her back on it.

"I will."

After that, Bunko invited Kohana over to lunch, they talked about Kohana the whole time. Kohana told her everything about the escort mission to the Land of Waves. Bunko had listened to her talk without uttering a single word, managing to stay flabbergasted the entire time. It was rather funny; her jaw had dropped more times than Kohana could count. Her tea had gone cold, too, because of how immersed she was in how Kohana regaled her with the challenges that befell Team 7. As much as she didn't want to, Kohana left out the parts about Haku and only spoke about him when she absolutely needed to. She wasn't overly comfortable with sharing stories about someone whom she shared such private and treasured memories with. Kohana and Bunko weren't as close as they had once been.

When Kohana mentioned how Osamu saved her life, though, Bunko gasped and grabbed Kohana's hand. "I know Osamu! He's a very good friend of mine."

Kohana was going to pass out right then and there.

"You know Osamu-sensei? Then... Then I have to meet him!"

Bunko sighed. "That workaholic went out on another mission after he returned from the Land of Waves. That fool. He'll be gone for at least another week. By then you'll already be taking the Chūnin Exams."

Kohana pouted. "That's what Old Man told me, too..."

"Oh, cheer up, Kohana! You'll meet him soon enough, I promise."

Team 7 arrived at the Academy to turn into their applications. What they found, however, were two kids blocking the path to what looked like the room they were supposed to enter. Earlier on, Kohana, Sasuke, and Sakura saw a sign for the first floor. It was a stupid genjutsu that made all of the other examinees think that they were on the right floor.