The Forgotten Prince

Hans was home. Not home where he was exiled to and made a home for himself. No, he was home, back in the Southern Isles: large castle and all.

"Can you believe it?" Hans' head snapped up as he recognized the voice of his mother. He smiled, overjoyed to see her but restrained himself from hugging her. It wouldn't be proper for a royal to show such enthusiasm in public after all.

"Mother–"

"They were dancing about the square...." Hans narrowed his eyes and at the blatant disregard. That's never happened before. Sure, with his brothers but his mother? Hans stepped out in front of her to throw caution to the winds and surprise her with a hug. She must have not seen him.

"Mother, I'm home!" Hans wrapped his arms around the Queen...

... and she walked right through him.

Hans' eyes widened, breath quickening, heart beating faster and a cold sweat beaded his brow. He touched his chest hesitantly, to make sure that he was there. Yes, he was solid so then why...? Hans spun around on his heel to reach out for her but the Queen was gone.

It was dark, it was cold, and he was alone.

Where was he?

"Hello?" Hans called out and pushed the strangeness out of his mind. He was still hurt over his mother. Mother...

"Hans!" He never spun around so fast in his life at the sound of her voice. She bowled into him, wrapping her arms around his frame in a hug. His heart sped up when he thought she would run right through him as well.

But she didn't.

His lady love looked up at him with those eyes he adored. Hans cupped her face and he could almost forget what happened.

"How did you find me?" Instead of answering, she leaned in for a kiss. Hans didn't object. He immediately leaned in as well. He could feel her breath against his lips, hands tightened on her waist in anticipation, his heart rate quickining.

She smirked and pulled back.

"Oh, Hans..."

No.

"....if only..."

Please. Anybody but her.

"....Somebody loved you." Hans' heart shattered. She slipped out of his hands and she laughed. She laughed. Tears pricked at his eyes and he couldn't see in front of him however, she was already gone. He felt her absence of love like a physical part of him was ripped out, torn into tiny pieces, and stomped on over and over.

"NOVA!!!" Hans screamed, hands over his ears as if to block out the words that were spoken.

"Such a disappointment." Hans looked up with a gasp at his parents, large and looming. Shadows covered their faces yet he felt their contempt, their judgmental stares like a physical weight.

"Father," Hans choked out. He felt like a small child all over again, forever looking up at his parents, looking for their approval.

"You're such a failure to the name of Westergard. How did we ever end up with you?" No. Please.

"I should have gotten rid of you when I had the chance. Such a weak son. Why can't you be like your brothers, strapping young men?" Please. Not you too.

"You're not our son." Hans fell to his knees in defeat and a few tears finally escaped his eyes. He watched them fall onto the black ground.

Children laughing.

Hans looked up to see all his brothers playing. They looked so happy without him, ignoring him, talking about their exploits, their parents coming over and giving them love and attention.

Hans squeezed his eyes shut and screamed until he was hoarse as he slammed his fists into the ground. When he opened his eyes they were gone. Everyone was gone.

It was c̰̜͢o̤̬l͙͈̠̭̮d̥̩̙̼̩̺, it was d̹̥̼̹͔a̬̺͓͟r͚̫͈͓k̤͓, and he was a͙̝̣͔͔̫̹͞ļ̲̝̲̜̭̖o̜ne̪̥.

A/N:

I wrote this little one shot as a sort of typical nightmare that Prince Hans may have. This is dedicated to forvistxkonge, formerly invisibletotheireyes, over on Tumblr where our characters know one another. It's why she's in this nightmare at all and have any sort of significance as she's Hans' current love interest and why those words would be devastating. I would have used Elsa or Anna instead but I felt weird censoring my own writing just to post up on Wattpad. Hope everyone enjoyed this. If you have any other ideas to add onto the Hans short story book, let me know and I may use it as a prompt to tack on another chapter! =3