The Music Box

The Music Box

Prologue

Paris Opera House 1919

Unknown POV

          The newly remodeled chandelier lit up the theater with brilliance as the people stared on with wonder and amazement. I though, only shook my head and looked down. Why would they sell the chandelier? They only thing that holds all the memories of the past? I will admit, they did a terrific job remodeling it but it doesn’t compare to the one that shone brilliantly years ago. I quietly left the crowd and made my way towards the center of the theater, knowing that it would be a while before they start to notice my disappearance.

          The hallways were dim and dusty, smelled of mold and mildew that made my nose cringe with disgust. I tried to keep my pace quiet but the sound of my heels sort of gave me away. I remembered these hallways filled with light and faint music as performers walked along the hallways, laughing and talking excitingly before the big performance. I smirked at that thought, wishing I could go back in time and relive those moments again.

          After a few minutes of walking, I made my way up to center stage and sat down on the ledge, letting my feet swing. I reached into my hidden satchel and took out a familiar box. I began to hum as I took off my necklace to reveal a small key, a perfect fit for the box. I turned the key gently a few times before it opened, filling the room with the familiar piano music I heard years before.

          The music boomed around the room as I smiled, caressing the delicate music box with my sturdy hands, watching the man and woman statuette dance. The beautiful piece of music that echoes throughout the theater is not just an ordinary piece, but a song that came from the heart, bringing back memories that I will never forget. Some of you may know the story of the Phantom of the Opera. It’s an age old story about a musical genius who hides deep under the opera who trains and falls in love with a chorus girl who works at the opera. The story ends with the Phantom vanishing and the chorus girl falling in love with her childhood sweetheart.

          But what many people don’t know is that the opera house opened again, 20 years later, then closed again a 4 years afterwards. Those 4 years, to me, changed my life for good. In just those 4 years, there was love, cheerfulness, harmony, lust, war, and an angel of music with a terrifying twist. And it all started with a music box and a girl with a dream that went beyond what she could only imagine of.