Chapter Seventeen: A Break in the Ice

Arielle shifted forms, hoping for all her life that she wouldn’t miss the tree.

     She stood on the windowsill, a dark shadow against the light stone, looking down at the tree below that she meant to break her fall. She dropped her rolled-up dress to the ground, and watched as it bounced around next to the tree. She turned her gaze to the sky, praying silently that she would make the jump without serious injury. She looked at the door; she could still hear the Guard’s breathing, feel his waning sorrow tinged with iron hatred. Satisfied he hadn’t heard her snapping change, she leapt from the window, arching her back to slow her descent.

     Landing a little harder than she meant to, she struck the largest limb of the tree with a loud crack. Luckily, the only thing broken was the limb itself. She leapt for the trunk as the limb fell, crashing through the lower branches. She attached herself to the trunk with razor-sharp claws to keep from tumbling down with it.

     Once she was certain no one would come running at the sound of the crash, she shifted forms again, sliding slowly down the trunk. She slipped into the dress she had dropped and ran from the sight of the palace, off to the grove.

Germaine stood silently at the mouth of the cave, leaning against the rock, arms crossed over his chest. He was calm as he had ever been, sure the fox had delivered his message.

     An old woman had confronted Germaine at his palace home when Arielle had not returned to the cave, after he had made the decision to leave, sure she would send him a message when she got around to it.

     The old woman gave Germaine a terrible, binding ultimatum: Leave his home and work for a faction that hated the Penthoseren name and all other Infinity royals and the Guardians, or watch his lover die. Germaine had chosen the former, though he felt he didn’t have much of a choice. But why would they want a second-best family’s most hated son? What importance had he?

     Still, the woman had given him one day to say his good-byes.

     Germaine pushed off the rock when he heard the brush rustle, caught Arielle’s French-vanilla-and-earth scent. He’d smelled her long before he heard her, and heard her long before he saw her. “Arielle?” he whispered. “Is that you?”

     The panther pushed out of the bushes. “Germy?” she said, citing her nickname for him that dated back to when they were children, something she only called him now when she was afraid. “What is it? Why was your message so cryptic?”

     He stood tall, more to reassure himself than her. “I have been called away, drafted into an army of sorts. To fight for a cause.”

     Arielle’s face took on a bewildered look. “What cause?”

     Germaine sighed. “I can’t say, love. A woman came requesting my help. If not . . . She threatened you. I had to make the choice. I won’t have you hurt.”

     Arielle took a step toward him, placing a light hand on his chest. “Don’t go, Germy. I need you. I . . . I can handle anything they throw at me. Just don’t go.”

     The dragon put his hand over hers, smiling sadly. Arielle’s eyes ran with tears. His love for her tugged at his heart, and he wiped them away with a thumb. “Don’t cry, love. I’ll be back before you know it. I’ll protect you. Always.”

     She leapt at him, tackling him to the ground. She wrapped her arms around his neck, covering his face with kisses. “I love you,” she said repeatedly, “I love you, I love you.”

     Germaine hugged her waist tight, burying his face in her hair. “I love you back, Ari.” He held her gingerly as he brought them to their feet. “Don’t forget me, princess. And don’t let that Guard steal your fun.” He kissed her full on the mouth, sweet and slow and passionate. Then he looked her in the eyes, smiling. He stroked her hair for an instant, listening for her purr (she was a cat after all), then kissed her forehead.