Chapter Ten: The Ball

“Essie! Essie! Did you hear? There’s going to be a ball! I’m so excited! Mommy’s actually celebrating her birthday!”

     The summer had fallen more than a year and a half later, and Serapheme deigned to have a ball for her thousand and some year birthday. The palace was abuzz with servants and nobles, all preparing or helping or giving gifts for the ball. The whole mainland was invited, and the minstrels would be playing, and there would be dancing and food and people. Even the Narientels were invited, as a show of good faith.

     Iressa chuckled as she rested a silver circlet over her raven hair. “I heard, Little Light. I hear there will be boys there.” She giggled knowingly with Ari. They both knew all the potential suitors would flock to Anora, as she was eldest and by far the fairest of the sisters. With Iressa’s exotic looks, the younger men came to her, but she usually flicked them away with the story that she was being courted by a faraway prince. This was all rubbish, but she said she wasn’t looking to marry any time soon. She usually just helped her younger siblings with lessons and took care of them in Serapheme’s absence.

     “Oh well,” Ari said. “At least we’ll have fun together.” Iressa’s eyes glowed as she said it. Arielle knew that Iressa would rather be with her siblings than with a bunch of boring men dancing at a party that no one would pay attention to her at. She loved her siblings more than life itself. Arielle had always respected her for that.

     Arielle grinned her widest and trotted off, leaving Essa to her peace. She went instead to her room to have a maid—hopefully not Helena—help her in her ball gown.

     She pushed the door open and stopped, her jaw dropping. The gown was a silky deep black, darker than Iressa’s hair. Silver accented the hem and bodice. The skirt was a plush tulle, bellowing out at the waist. It had thick silver ropes for straps, and slippers and a shawl of the same material was laid next to the dress. A mask on a silver wire had slitted eyes, like Ari’s own slanted gems. It covered the top of her small nose and face, and it was black fur with dark rosettes.

     Ari smiled. Everyone was dressing for the masquerade in the colors and masks of their animal form or element. She was a panther. It was only fitting.

     She called for a servant, and a young girl about her own age scurried in. It was a struggle, but she finally slipped into the dress and slippers, wrapping herself in the shawl. She went to the mirror to try on the mask. The costume was perfect. She looked much older than her eleven years.

     With a gulp she wondered if Germaine would be there. How would he react to seeing her dressed like that?

     She shook her head. It didn’t matter. She sent the girl away with a hug of appreciation, and, gathering her skirts in a silken-gloved hand, she proceeded down the hall to the ball room.

Germaine was nervous. His parents were too. He could see it. He and Hugo were clinging to each other for dear life. They had never been inside the Penthoseren household except for to argue their case of rightful heirs.

     He wore black armor with scales the color of midnight, accented here and there with purple leather and metal. His cape was black with the purple head of a dragon. His mask, held in place by a strap of leather, sported slitted eyes and a dragon crest.

     The sword at his side was more for show than defense, but he felt his hand itching to be around its hilt.

     His mother moved off to converse with the Banvietes, his father already gone to find the champagne. Hugo was being watched by a maid of theirs, so he edged closer to the crowd and out of the pillars that led out into the sand and night.