.38*

immediately, without wasting a moment, he pulled her closer

immediately, without wasting a moment, he pulled her closer. just before their lips made contact though, a loud voice reverberated throughout the room.

"what in the devil's hell is going on here?"

at the loud voice, she pushed him away from her

at the loud voice, she pushed him away from her. he didn't budge an inch. instead, he placed an arm over her shoulder and pulled her closer to his side, as if protecting her. surprised at his openness, she looked up to his face to gauge his expression. 

his jaw was set, his face carved into a harsh glare aimed at none other than her sister, natalie. she was glaring right back at him with an equally harsh glare. tension lingered in the air, surrounding the room and blanketing them. 

"what the fvck are you doing here?" he spat at natalie with vehemence that made rae flinch. he pulled her closer. "if you think i am going to take you back-"

natalie cut him off with a humorless laugh. "what makes you think i am here for your sorry ass?" shaking her head as if she couldn't believe his stupidity, she walked towards them. he stiffened and pulled her even closer. 

rae tried not to yelp because of the pain he was causing her. anger radiated from his body in waves, drowning her. there was definitely going to be a bruise later at the spot where he was holding her. "let rae go."

it was zion's turn to laugh. "you think i am holding her back? she came here on her free will." stepping back, he released rae. she let out a quiet sigh of relief when his iron grip left her. zion nudged her shoulder. "go on."

rae looked over her shoulder and glared at zion, before directing the glare at natalie. "what is it, lee?"

"rae. come, let's go." natalie extended a hand towards rae. "i don't need rescuing. like he said, i am here on my own will."

natalie sighed and dropped her hand to her side. she didn't look angry, but exhausted. like she anticipated this to happen. "zion, can i talk to her in private?"

zion didn't even spare natalie a glance. instead, he just walked away without a word. "rae, i am just a scream away," he said, his hands in tight fists before he left the room.

"like i would harm my own sister." natalie snorted as he slammed the door behind him and plopped onto the couch. "what?" she asked rae, who was glaring at her with crossed arms. "don't look at me like i ruined your marriage. i just want to talk to you, and then i'll leave you two."

rae's glare melted away. she was always like that, easy to persuade and dominate. sitting in the armchair opposite natalie, she said, "what, lee?"

"now, you must think i am a b!tch-"

"technically, you are."

"ouch."

they stayed like that in silence for a few minutes, before natalie continued speaking. "you actually think zion's heart broken?"

"yes. and you broke it. so now, bye." rae got up from her seat, signalling the conversation was over. but natalie wouldn't have any of it. "rae, listen. you don't know zion like i do."

her anger was back. "what do you mean? and why are you talking like you know him, anyway? if you did, you wouldn't have cheated on him knowing it would break his heart!"

natalie was quietly tracing random figures when rae said that. rae took her silence as acceptance. 

"i am sorry for what i did, rae. but he. . .he's not what he used to be. there's something about him that is telling me to run."

"what is this, a horror story? or he is some kind of devil?"

natalie let out a humorous laugh. "he might as well be." she got up, stretching slightly. looking at rae's confused face, she sighed. "i can't tell you anything. even if i did, the chances of you believing me are about minus one percent."

she looked at rae who was staring at her shoe, waiting for her to say something. "why?" rae asked in a small voice.

"i don't want to see you hurt."

she didn't speak again until natalie was at the door. "too late for that."

rae could almost hear the bitter smile dancing on her lips. "i don't care what you do, just stay away from him."

"if you want him back-"

"god! no, i don't want him back. i don't want to be near him. i don't want you near him. but i respect your decision."

opening the door, natalie looked over her shoulder.

"please listen to me for once in this matter."

a ghost of a smile appeared on her face.

"run as fast as you can."

.