DECEMBER 2014

During the hectic Christmas and wild New Year sometimes all you need is to take a few hours out (quite a few hours in the case of one film), sit, relax and watch a good movie. Thankfully this month's films present you with lots of choice as they're filled with action, laughs and adventure. Merry Christmas!

Released: 5th December - Black Sea - 3 stars

Jude Law plays a submarine captain who has dedicated his life to working at sea. When he is made redundant he is offered a job by a shadowy backer - to travel to the Black Sea in search of Nazi gold on the sea bed. Directed by Academy Award winner Kevin MacDonald, this is an excellent adventure film only let down by the last 30 minutes when it becomes a modern, simplistic "10 Little Indians".

11th December: The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies - 5 stars for fans, 2 stars if not

This movie is truly incredible. The narrative concludes Bilbo and company's travels across Middle Earth and links to the Lord of Rings films as we see the rise of Sauron. There is so much to see and take in you may have to watch it many times. But only if you are a fan of the world Peter Jackson's created. This is a very long film, the "final battle" itself is almost an hour, and the story bears little resemblance to Tolkien's book so non-fans may get bored.

19th December: Dumb and Dumber Too - 3 stars

It's been 20 years since Lloyd and Harry hit the road to return Mrs Samsonite's briefcase and they're off again. Harry needs a kidney from his long-lost daughter and Lloyd is in love with her so they travel across the USA to track her down. The comedy has plenty of gross moments but is laugh-out-loud funny in many places. While there may be a lack of soul or heart, there's not much wrong with just laughing for 2 hours.

26th December: Unbroken - 4 stars

The complete opposite to Dumb and Dumber To is this agonising, heart-wrenching tale from director Angelina Jolie. This is the incredible survival story of Louis Zamperini. A successful athlete, running at the Nazi's 1936 Olympic Games, he survives a plane crash in the Pacific theatre in World War Two and spends 47 days drifting on a raft. Zamperini then survived 2 and a half years in several brutal Japanese camps. Fascinating and inspiring.

DVDs to please

This months DVDs and Blu-Rays are set for under the tree or in the stocking so let's keep it simple: The Best for Young Children: Planes 2 (1st December on DVD rrp: £9.99 and Blu-Ray rrp: £14.99). The Best for Older Boys: Hercules (1st December on DVD rrp: £9.99 and Blu-Ray rrp: £14.99). The Best for Older Girls: One Direction: Where We Are (1st December on DVD rrp: £8.99 and Blu-Ray rrp: £12.99). The Best for Mum: Sex Tape (22nd December on DVD rrp: £9.99 and Blu-Ray rrp: £14.99). The Best for Dad: The Expendables 3 (8th December on DVD rrp: £9.99 and Blu-Ray rrp: £14.99). Merry Christmas!