AUGUST 2014

Who doesn't like seconds? Sunday roast or Christmas dinner second helpings aren't glutenous, they're required so mum doesn't have to say "I'll just throw it away". All the big films this month are sequels but that doesn't mean they are second best. Enjoy!

Released: 6th August - The Inbetweeners 2 - 2 stars

The lads, Will, Simon, Jay and Neil, are back but if you're a fan of the first film, or the TV series, you will be disappointed. Jay is in Australia and invites the rest of the boys to come and have the "holiday of their lives". Of course, everything goes wrong while the foursome travel around Australia. While there is lots of juvenile humour, this movie is directed by the writers so doesn't have the flow that made what has come before successful.

8th August - Planes 2: Fire and Rescue (3D) - 4 stars

The follow-up to last summer's surprise blockbuster 'Planes' has a shock of it's own - it's good. The plot involves 'Dusty', the hero of the last film, feeling forlorn because he can't race again. However, he is given a new lease of life by joining the local firefighting team. This brings an unexpected emotional involvement that was lacking in the first film. As the action sequences and animation are just as good as the previous; this makes for a cinematic rarity - a sequel better than the original.

14th August - The Expendables 3 - 3 stars

If the ultimate sequel is the same stuff as made the last film successful but with just "more" then this is it. The story has the Expendables team fighting a former member who has become a ruthless arms dealer. But the plot is meaningless as this moves easily from one mindless action sequence to another. However, it's all about the stars as Stallone and Statham are joined by Harrison Ford, Antonio Banderas, Wesley Snipes, Kelsey Grammer and Mel Gibson. Ridiculous but wonderfully ridiculous.

25th July - Sin City 2: A Dame To Kill For (3D) - 3 stars

The 2005 film 'Sin City' was a marvel of neo-noir, blending comic books and movies in a way that would make '300' blush. This film continues with the sensational black and white cinematography while the plot is comprised of 4 individual segments that casually link together. Directors Frank Miller and Robert Rodriguez have created a wonderful world of dark characters and even darker criminals that looks beautiful but is a bit boring.

DVDs to please

When it's the hottest month of the year, what do you want to be doing? Sitting inside watching DVDs and Blu-Rays, of course. The Muppets Most Wanted (11th August on on DVD rrp: £9.99 and Blu-Ray rrp: £14.99) is loads of fun for all the family as the Muppets tour the world battling the world's greatest criminal... who looks like Kermit. The superhero gravy train continues with Captain America: The Winter Soldier (18th August on DVD rrp: £14.99 and Blu-Ray rrp: £19.99). This is a darker Marvel film and all the better for it. Tom Hardy gives a virtuoso performance in Locke (25th August on DVD rrp: £9.99 and Blu-Ray rrp: £14.99) quite literally as he is the only person on screen but this is an excellent, psychological thriller. Enjoy!