27: Feels Like A Sunday

Feels Like a Sunday - Elderbrook

__________________________

"Tim, it's so great to see you!"

"It's so good to see you curating, Chelsea. When I'd heard you were at the head of this dig, I couldn't believe my ears." He said giving my empty hand a firm shake. "Well done, girly."

I smiled proudly at my old colleague and turned toward the newly broken soil and the ten other workers. It was my second week as managing director and I was even more excited now than last week, especially now that Tim was here. I'd finally fallen back to working on site and this time around it was Congo. We arrived a month ago to finalise all the plans but it'd been far longer since those notable months running to a from every mentionable continent on the planet.

It's been a year. Twelve months and thirteen days to be more exact. And that was counting since the day Christian had left.

I'd began a whole new routine, one so different to before. After the first few months of settling into Canada and visiting my parents for a few weeks, I started working again. But this time, I worked at home. I guest lectured at Simon Fraser for students that needed extra credit, worked at the geoscience labs with my superiors and started working my way back up the ladder.

And now here I was, my first exploration dig. I was the boss. And I was damn-right excited. I'd worked so hard to get to this point, too hard to drop everything and look for Christian like I'd wanted to do half a year ago.

Of course, the girls quickly steered me back on track – which was a lot easier to do than the first few months. Yes, things got easier. I'd kept myself so preoccupied, seeing my family, sorting out my living situation in Canada and staying in thorough contact with the girls and the kids that thinking about Christian's whereabouts slipped my mind.

The love however didn't dissipate one bit. Absence did make the heart grow fonder which made his absence even more painful.

But, like the strong woman that took on the Steinsson's – almost completely desiccated and lived to the tale – I soldiered on. I smiled to myself as I looked on at the geologists, all varying in age, height.

It was just amazing. And I was proud of myself.

**

Walking into my rented apartment, Kate was already stood there with a giant smile on her face and a very mischievous twinkle to her eye. "What?" I asked swapping my dirty boots for a pair of flats.

"Nothing," She shrugged the twinkle growing brighter. "Oh, nothing. You ready for dinner?"

"I'll be ready once you've told me why you're looking at me like a serial killer."

"What's so different to how I usually look then?" She brushed past me.

Katherine had only arrived yesterday. She jumped on the opportunity to visit and she loved traveling as much as I loved it; I was always happy to have her. Micah never minded Katherine's spontaneous trips, in fact, he encouraged it. And when it came to Kate's job she pretty much takes all her vacations days at once.

Plus, with what happened last year, I didn't mind having a clever witch for company.

We arrived at the restaurant down the street from us and was seated quickly. I ordered us a bottle of wine and ordered our main meals.

"How's home?" I asked, taking a sip from my wine glass.

"Same old. The girls can't wait to see you. And before I forget to mention, Vlad visited last week."