Chapter 13: His Secrets

Ebony's POV:

Ebony's POV:

"What?" I knew what he said, I just didn't understand why he was telling me this.

"My mom had Leukemia." Luke was suddenly focused on the bottom of his coat.

"I-,"

"She was always weak, and some nights she'd be in pain. But me and my father never really knew what it was until it was too late. Before she was sick, we'd come to this tree and she'd push me on that swing. We'd sit on a tree branch sometimes, and I'd lay in her arms and drift to sleep as she hummed a little made up song." He smiled. It was a short lived one. A sad one. "I can still remember her voice and how she stroked my hair. I miss her. So, every time I'm in a mood, I take a ride out to this tree, and it reminds me of the happiness me and her shared. Instantly, everything is forgotten when I'm here." He kept his gaze towards the cold fall-colored ground. I was surprised he wasn't crying by now. I wondered how he could do it, how he could stay so strong minded as he was.

I didn't know what to say. I've never been in a situation like this. So I stayed silent, standing like a strong pole in the icy wind. Nothing was heard but the breeze blowing around us.

"My father, as you can see, is still stressed from our loss. He loved my mom more than he loves himself. He stopped caring about anything after that, even me, just so that he won't have to take his next loss as hard. He just sits in his chair, drinks, eats, and sulks. That's why he doesn't care if you stay with us. I could bring 50 girls in the house, have sex, and he still wouldn't even care. The only thing that he's ever done so mind-blowing ever since my mother's death, was buy you that expensive ass phone. He's never done anything nice before then."

"I don't understand why either. I've tried to talk to him, but he only nods and answers to yes or no questions," I said.

"Maybe he likes you and accepts you as part of the family."

I shrugged. My face felt hot for some reason. It got a little awkward after what he said.

"Eb, please promise me that you won't lose hope like my father has. I don't wanna see you like that."

We stood there for a second, gazing at each other, nothing was being said because he was waiting for a promise I couldn't promise him. Instead, I closed the huge gap in front of us and gave him a tight hug. He gasped, this had been the second hug he's received from me, and I could tell he wasn't used to it.

His arms were frozen in the air, I felt a slight shiver run through him, and he started stuttering. I knew this broke the boundary rule, but he looked like he needed this hug. I felt his arms slowly wrap around me and his chin softly rested on my head.

"I won't lose hope," I answered.

What the hell am I saying?! I just said I couldn't promise him that!

Luke made a soft, short chuckle and suddenly picked me up from off of the ground and swung me around.

We laughed and fell to the ground. We tossed leaves at each other and rolled around until we tired each other out and just laid in the piles. Luke turned his head to me and I looked back at him, gazing into those breathless green eyes. I wanted to stare into them forever, until he suddenly sat up, rubbed his face, and sighed.

"Are you okay?" I sat up and asked.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine," he said as he got up from off of the ground and started slowly pacing back and forth.

"Really? Because it doesn't seem like it." I got up, walked towards him and put my hands on his shoulders so he would stop pacing. "Are you okay?" I asked again.

There was a dramatic pause, it kind of scared me.

Then bam!

Luke slammed his lips onto mine. He moved them in a fast motion, causing me to follow along. I was in shock and didn't know what else to do. I felt frozen, but this warm sensation washed over me. I felt his hands glide their way to my back and push my body into his. For some apparent reason, I wrapped my arms around his neck and melted into the kiss.

What's happening?! I can't believe this!

I started moving with his lips, almost as if I wanted to kiss him. One of my hands made its way to Luke's hair, running through his curls. Luke lightly moaned through the kiss, moving our lips faster and hungrier, until everything was getting messy. We escalated into a moaning mess, wanting more of each other, breaking away for a second just for air. Our hands were running through each other's clothes, just under our coats, nothing too sexual. But his hands felt so warm and nice when they came in contact with my skin. Thoughts of what my adoptive father did to me didn't pop into my head. Instead, my thoughts were focused on Luke and how much I loved the way his lips felt with mine. Our heads kept switching from leaning left or right, any way they went, the kiss still felt.... satisfying.

Luke moved down to my neck and then back up to my lips. Biting them softly before deepening the kiss even more. I moved my hands away from the hard abs I didn't know he had up to his chiseled face. Caressing his cheek, checking to see if he was actually standing here making our lips dance with each other. And he was, dazzling me with his every movement.

"I want you to be mine," Luke groaned, eyes still closed, forehead to forehead, and short of breath.

That's when I suddenly gained control of my thoughts again and pushed him away.

My eyes were wide and I held my mouth as if I did something I'd later regret.

I shouldn't have done that, I shouldn't have given in.

I fixed my coat that was dangling off of my shoulder and shoved my hand in my hair.

Luke bit his bottom lip and backed up a little.

"I'm sorry, Ebony. I couldn't hold this in- how I feel about you. I've loved you for a while now and I can't get you out of my head. Every time you smile, every time you hold my hand, every time you're near me, I can't stop thinking about how I can't hold you or kiss you or hug you just for comfort because we're not together. I want you with me, next to me, to love me..... like I love you." He stared at me for a while. "I know you said you don't wanna be loved, I know you said you don't wanna love anyone either, but that kiss proved that what you said is wrong."

I didn't know what to say. I didn't want to break his heart. So, I said something that I felt would prevent me from responding to what he said.

"Can we go back now?" I asked, a little shaken up.

He scrunched his eyebrows for a second. "But-." He stopped and stared at me, then he nodded and grabbed the car keys from out of his pocket.

As much as I didn't want to break his heart so that I could avoid a relationship, I could tell that I still broke a little piece inside of him.

Now everything was going to be awkward again.