But Never A Good Place To Stay

Anna

     I started out with the simple stuff. Like when I found out I had the healing powers and why I could do more than one thing.

                                                                         Flashback

     I was about 7, and I remember that it was after school one day. I was hanging out with Zack, my new best friend, just like every other day. Both of our parents weren't home yet because they were at work, so I was supposed to go to Zack's house and wait for my dad to pick me up in a few hours. No big deal.

     Well... Instead of going inside like we were supposed to, Zack really wanted to go outside. He had just gotten a new bike and wanted to show me how fast he could go. I didn't think it was a good idea, but even back then I'd do anything for him; so we went outside.

     Everything was going fine. We were just joking around and having a good time.... Then Zack got hurt. I remember that he was going really fast, and he wanted to show me how he could ride his bike with no hands. It went almost 20 whole feet before the handle bars suddenly shifted their direction and he hit a hole in the ground. He was air born in a matter of seconds.

     I remember running up to him, and... and there was blood everywhere. He was unconscious and the blood was coming from his head. Even back then I knew this was really bad. Our parents weren't going to be home for a few more hours, and I didn't want to tell them what had happened because I didn't want Zack or me to get in trouble. So I did what any other 7 year old would have done at the time: I put his head in my lap, and cried.

     I just cried and cried, until I felt something moving on my lap. Zack was started to wake up and his head was healing its self. My tears were actually healing my best friend.

      When he woke up he didn't remember what happened, and I just couldn't tell him that he nearly died and I had saved him with my tears. Supers were just being found out by then, and they weren't looked up as hero's as much as freaks.

     He's got a scar on the left side of his forehead that he covers up with hair, and he has no idea how he got it. He doesn't know that even then he meant the world to me...

                                                                  End Of Flashback

     "So, you basically always had the healing thing?" Christian asked me. He had been pushed up against the wall the entire time I explained to him how I found out I had powers (With some details deleted from the story), and had finally moved to come and stand next to the rest of us.

     Turns out I'd been out for 3 days. Guess saving a life really takes a lot out of you...

     "Yea, I guess so. But you guys have to promise not to tell anyone. A lot of people want me dead, and if they find out about my gift, they could hurt me even more."

     "Why would you being able to heal yourself and others make people want you dead more?" Braxton, always the naïve one.

     "Because people can find the ones she loves and make her heal for them. She'd be the ultimate weapon." I would expect Christian to say something like this, but Efaw I guess has been surprising all of us these past few days. I found out that she's been feeding excuses to Mindbender so he didn't ask questions about where I was, and got me some new clothes to change into.

     I looked at the clock on the wall behind me, and nearly had a heart attack.

     "Is that the real time?!?!" If I didn't get home soon I was going to miss work. Again.

     "Yea, why? Got a hot date waitin for ya?" Braxton said more than eager to follow me home if I did.

     "Wouldn't that be the day? Me on a date. No, I've missed two days of work without telling my boss first. He might love me but not enough for a third time. Braxton, I'm happy to see that your ok now, thanks Efaw and Christian but I really have to go."

     I got all my stuff together, hugged Efaw and Braxton, and headed out. Right as I was about to head to the board walk and hail a taxi, I felt a tug on my wrist. I turned around and was shocked to see who was holding me back.

     "Do you need a ride home?" Christian said, looking tired and worn out. I was about to tell him off about how he never wanted to help me before all this, why should he start now, when he cut me off.

     "You didn't have to help me. Not even just with Braxton, but everything. From Mindbender being mad at me, to Spades trying to take over, to saving someone I..... Never mind. The point is you help everyone, let me help you for a change." I wanted to say no, I really did. But I needed the ride, and I need to know what he was going to say about Braxton.

     "Alright, but we need to hurry. I need to get to work." He just gave me a head nod and started fast walking towards the parking lot on the other side of the board walk.

      I tried to make conversation a few times but he wasn't having any of that, and I was to worn out to fight with him. We finally got to his car after almost 10 minutes of walking and my jaw nearly hit the floor. I don't know a lot about cars, but I could tell it was worth more than I'd make in 5 years. It was a silver 2014 mustang and it was gorgeous!

     He walked to the drivers seat and unlocked the car before getting in. I was still staring at the car. Zack was huge one cars; what he wouldn't kill to see this!

     Eventually I stopped drooling enough to get in the car and told Christian where I lived. It only took about half an hour to get there, but I decided to leave Christian alone. He had a look on his face that said he was thinking and didn't want to be bothered.

     He pulled up into my apartment complex and I jumped out with a quick thank you and half jogged to be apartment. Right before I opened the door I heard him scream "Thank you" out the window before pulling away. I smiled a little as I unlocked my door.

     I looked at my watch to see that because of Christian I had a little more time than I had originally thought, so I slid down the door to sit and just breath for a minute. And that's when everything really went to Hell for me.

     "Where the Hell have you been?!?!?!" This can't be good.