Chapter 6: Pain and Regret

A/N Dedicated to KateeSmurfette for her amazing attempt at my cover :) xo

His sleek black Audi came to a halt in front of St. Mary’s Elementary School. He opened his door and stepped onto the pavement. He looked around, his eyes searching for a head with blonde hair.

He walked forward, as the gravel crunched beneath his feet and his discomfort grew. It was now that he was second-guessing his decision of meeting her here. He did not know how he would react or what his emotions would be.

Granted he was excited. It was at least better than nothing. No, it was better than what he really deserved. But a part of him wanted this meeting to take place at a more private setting. A place where there wouldn’t be so many people if he did something wrong.

Or if he got turned down.

He finally found her. She was wearing blue jeans and a red tank top. Her hair was tied up in a bun and standing there in nothing but red flats, she was still undoubtedly the most beautiful woman there.

He debated between walking up to her while she happily chatted with another female and just standing there, gawking at her.

There was a time when he used to be the reason behind her hearty, infectious laughs.

There was a time when he used to weave his fingers in her shining, soft hair that today, he could now only admire from afar.

There was a time when he could tell her he loved her and she would say it back.

He had, had it all. And he still would have had it all if only he hadn’t walked out on her all those years ago.

But he was here today.

And he would not have been if it weren’t for the arrangement he had literally begged for, four months ago when his wife had come walking into his office not knowing she’d meet him there. To quit her job.

“You will never get to meet my baby.”

The revulsion in her voice had been like a slap in the face. But then again, what had he been expecting after six years?

His phone vibrated indicating a text message. His eyes briefly set on his phone’s screen. Seeing who it was, he switched off his phone and shoved it in his pocket.

Four months ago his ex-wife had turned him down from seeing his child. Her child as she had preferred to call it.

“She knows her father is dead. He died long before she was born.”

He hadn’t given up these past four months. He knew where she lived. His child had to be five years of age. In these past four months he had never watched her leaving with an infant. But then again, she came home everyday at around 7pm.

Yes he had also derived a list of all the kids that lived on that building. Just one of the many perks of being a Human Resources Manager for a big company. There were seventeen in total but none of them had a last name as a Callaghan or a Laurenz. Not that he was expecting for his child's last name to be a Callaghan.

So here he was today, standing in front of this school when his private investigator called him up about Vanessa coming home early and leaving for somewhere. He found it quite strange, and so he ordered Nathan to follow her and tell him where she was.