Freak Among Freak's: Chapter 4

Chapter 4

I walked into my first block class with an open mind. Yesterday was a fluke I thought, today will be infinitely better. I scanned the class searching for Rowan but she wasn't here yet. Dante smile and waved at me as I took my seat in front of him.

"So how was the rest of your day?" He whispered. I looked around me for any signs that my peers were listening. Most everyone had headphones glued to their ears so I wasn't worried about eavesdroppers. When you ran a school with kids that could hear a pin drop a few hundred feet away, little thing like headphones and Ipod's tended to be overlooked.

The distraction kept down the drama that might otherwise ensue from the wrong overheard conversation.

"Well, Fredrick Meriwether is in my Classic Lit and trig classes, so you can imagine how well those two blocks went."

"Don't let my jerk of a cousin get to you." Rowans voice came from behind me. I turned and saw her standing near her seat with a soft smile on her face. "Fredrick is just trying to push your buttons because he knows I like you."

As hard as I tried, I couldn't keep my face locked in the neutral gaze that other members of my family have down to a science. My lips stretched and I know I was giving her a thousand watt smile. Rowan giggled and pressed her fingers to her lips to hold in an even louder laugh.

Dante huffed behind me and I felt a brush at the edge of my conscious. "Smooth one David." I grimaced and the smile disappeared. I wanted to tell him thanks for the heads-up, but I didn't have the mental powers that life borns and pureblood possessed. The most I could do was push my aura and hope he caught the sense of relief that rode it.

I cleared my throat and tried to salvage the geeky mess. "So you like me, when did you reach that decision?"

Rowan pulled her hair from her face and let it rest on her fist. "I thought that was obvious yesterday."

"Well no, not really. Maybe I thought you were part of the schools welcoming committee. How was I suppose to know it wasn't your job to be nice to me."

Rowan laughed and opened her mouth to answer me when Mr. Flemming walked into the room. Everyone turned forward to face the front and headphones disappeared.

"Class," he nodded before pulling a stack of papers from his briefcase. "Today we're going to begin our study of the effects vampire bloodlines has on the individual."

I looked at Mr. Flemming's face as he talked. Something was different. His face wasn't the same as it was yesterday. While he was busy passing out small stacks of papers to the heads of each row, I scrutinized his features.

When he looked at me with a knowing smirk plastered to his face, I knew what it was. His eyes weren't the color of mud anymore and the crook in his nose was gone. I looked at Rowan, my confusion evident. She looked at Flemming and scrawled something on a piece of paper. She held it up for me to see. There was one word written on it, 'later'.

Flemming walked down the isle and took the paper from Rowan's hand. "Just because you didn't pass the note that doesn't mean you get to write them in my class."

He looked down at the paper before balling it into a crumpled mess and heading back to the front of the class. So much for starting my day off right.

"What you have in front of you is a list of every pureblood family left. Each family is know for specific talents that run through their line. I want you to compile a family tree, going back as far as you can. The you will go to your list and compare the abilities against your own."