Freak Among Freaks: Chapter 10

Chapter 10

It was close to one am when we made it to Valerians home. He lived in another suburb targeted towards extras. Elysian Fields was clear across Charlotte and took us over half an hour to get there. It would take some time to get back to the grounds of Thorston's and then to Rowans house, so I couldn't afford to waste any of it.

Valerian didn't bother flipping on a light switch. He strolled through the massive front door, that weren't even locked and tossed his briefcase onto a thick royal blue recliner. "You've got about four hours left before you have to bed down. What do you want to do?" He asked as he sat down on a ottoman and slid a massive touch screen remote into his hand.

With his free hand, he reached back and pulled his long, naturally wavy hair, free of the black leather band that had secured it into a ponytail during the day. He shook his head and ran his fingers through the waves until the mass of hair hung to his shoulders. "Jesus Vedo, if your hair gets any longer you'll have more hair in your head that Val."

He chuckled and leaned forward on his elbows. "You should see what it looked like when I get it straightened for formal occasions." I could only imagine. When Irulan straightened her waist length curls hair, her mass of crimson hair hung almost to the back of her thighs. I love long hair on other people, but I don't think I could deal with it myself. But then again, I'd never find out.

"I'm not sure what I want to do," I said as I looked around Vedo's massive living room. His home was everything ours wasn't: sleek, polished, expensive looking. Our home used to be two store's but when my parents brought it, they had them converted into one big living unit. We had a huge open garage area. The bay door in the back lead to the parking area with enough room for six cars. Off to the side was our workout area.

The garage was only separated from the raised living room by four stairs and a metal rail. Our rooms were situated on a long hallway that led to a massive kitchen-dining room. My mom Irulan was a chef so she had a small office on the rear of the kitchen.

Our home was decorated modestly, I guess. My parents has some paintings on the wall, huge abstract pieces from small up and coming artist. Only recently have they dedicated a wall to family portraits. What I'm trying to say, was our house was a home, it looked comfortable and lived in.

Valerians home on the other hand. With the exception of the bedroom he'd set up for me, and the amusement room that took up the basement, the entire place looked like it belonged in a museum somewhere. I always felt like I should have plastic bags over my feet to protect the plus white carpet. I was never sure what was o.k to touch and what I should steer clear of.

"How about we head down to the amusement room and play a game of MK of the PS5. I just had a new projection 3d plasma installed. The blood from fatalities looks like it's all around you."

Any other time, that would have been right up my alley, but tonight I just wanted to talk to Dante and see if se was up for a little late night romp. I shrugged my shoulders and tried to sound as sincere as possible. "I don't know Vedo, I think I just want to go to my room and lie down. Today has been crazy wicked and I've got a lot on my mind."

He ran a finger slowly across the face of the remote as he eyed me. Even thought he and my mom Val, had eyes that were different shades of blue, the overall shape was the same. I couldn't help but squirm under the intense gaze he aimed at me. It was almost identical to Val's. "I want to believe you David, but my instinct is screaming at me. It's telling me the moment you're alone, you're going to find a way to get to that girl."

I couldn't hide the mix of shame and surprise that splayed itself across my face. I dropped my head, trying to hide it, but I knew it was impossible. "I can't help it Valerian. She got hurt because of me. Did my mothers tell you that Thomas broke her wrist. His own daughter, and he her wrist as she jerked her around."