Chapter Three

Hi hi hi, sorry i haven't uploaded in so long! Exams and shizzle, who'd have thought they'd make you cut your life in half? i've been so stressed, its unreal! Anywho, this chapter is mainly a filler, so i will upload soon now i've got more time on my hands. Hope you enjoy, please vote and comment on your way out:)

-- Sookie

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Three

Not a word was said around Caratelle. Nothing. For the rest of the weekend I had trudged up and down the market square countless times, avoiding onlookers concerned stares and staring down at the old cobbles beneath my feet. I feared if I looked up, I’d see him. If I saw him I was positive the events of my disturbed Saturday would flash by again, and I wasn’t sure I’d be able to help myself with that.  No amount of cigarette smoke or cake could mask something as horrible.

On Monday morning it rained, of course. Slosh after slosh of wet, warm water, misting the air. You couldn’t see squat. Not wanting to walk the three miles it would take for me to get to school, I decided to harass my mom into her driving me, even though it would make her late for work. No way was I getting on that bus. After dressing in my uniform and making my hair half-decent, five minutes before I had to leave in fact, I caught her down in the tiny tuna can of a kitchen we had. She sat in her bakery overalls and had her beautiful strawberry hair pulled back from her face. She sipped some coffee, whilst stroking the fat ginger cat my Nana had owned for about a hundred years. I pulled on my good girl smile and hoped she was in a good mood. Mom never drove, not since… not… well, it didn’t matter. I pulled up in a chair, still grinning.

‘Good morning, mummy. Sleep well?’

She looked baffled and confused. Her brow furrowed. ‘Erm, forgive me if I am wrong, but is my daughter, Isla Lucille Malone, actually smiling? Is she even talking? Wow. Pinch me, the bloody pigs have flown over.’

‘Mum, I asked a perfectly normal question.’

‘I know. Are you feeling alright?’

I sighed and rolled my eyes. ‘Yes, yes, ok, whatever. Look, can you please drive me to school? Lets not beat around the bush.’

Her face did not flinch, like I was expecting. She remained totally melancholy, off in mum world like she usually was. ‘I suppose so. Go and get in, I’ll get the keys.’

I got up and gave her a small, awkward hug, which was more than I’d done in years. I wasn’t very touchy feely. I wasn’t really the type to be warm and sweet. Not my thing, you could say.

We sat in silence the whole journey, my peripheral vision keeping a close eye on the tightening grip of my mothers hand on the steering wheel. She clutched the leather as if it held her life, the tendons sticking out under her pale skin. I knew this would be hard for her. Still, it would be harder if I was suddenly murdered before nine o’clock in the morning, which was funnily enough not something I wanted to risk.

We pulled up at the tiny shack of a building just after lesson had begun. I’d get a hammering from Madame Dubois, even though I wouldn’t be able to understand a word she was saying, and for this reason I decided to walk extra slow through the bleakly off white corridor before going in. I made sure my bag was firmly on the coat peg, all the books in my bag were in order, my appearance was fine. I got a few funny looks from the caretaker, but I simply smiled them off and turned to go to class, dragging my feet on the floor. When I walked in, I didn’t bother apologising for being late, and I didn’t look up into her old rusty glare. I kept my eyes on my seat at the back of class, and slumped down, not meeting any faces. Everyone was silent, and I could feel them all boring into my head with their stares.