Chapter Two

Well, well, well. I just can't help myself with a bit of blood, what can i say :L Cold heart is going to have to wait because i'm having too much fun writing this :D So, please vote and comment. Please do. No one ever does. 

-- Sookie 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Two

What to do on a Saturday in Caratelle, is a whole new story. The village centre usually had a market on until the afternoon, selling any shitty thing they could think of, and that was basically the social highlight of many of the villagers weeks. I hated going, but it got me out of the house, and shut my nana up moaning for a while. She had her own stall where she sold cakes she’d spent the whole seven days making, and expected me to help out by offering the punters free samples, which I had no problem with doing because hey- free cake! She made quite a bit of money off of it, and that totalled up with the bakery she owned in town made us quite well off amongst the others.

This Saturday was different. The sun of course hadn’t come out, but the rain had stopped and the grey cobbles of the village floor had dried overnight. We walked the longish walk up into the village and set up the table, me placing all the sexy cupcakes on pretty stands. I wore my blue skirt and leather jacket, my light blonde hair curly and long. I’d never liked my hair, it was a pain in the ass to straighten, and never stayed put for long. My make up was as usual, pretty heavy. I couldn’t not wear it. My foundation was light, as my skin was pretty fair, though the mascara and eyeliner I thought brought out the greenness in my eyes, and so was layered on until I was happy.

As usual, most of the regulars where there, including Madeleine, who had became a sort of friend to me. She could speak English only because her father was from there originally, and off that, she had been a sort of tag along with me. We had hardly anything in common; she was shy and polite, whereas I was totally the opposite. Nevertheless, she was nice, not very chatty, but I could easily like her. She wondered over to me as I was nibbling on a piece of shortcake, her short dark hair and pixie features standing out. She smiled at me, and took a seat on the empty counter seat as the others wondered round aimlessly.

‘Bonsoir.’ She says quietly.

‘Alright, Maddy?’ I hand her a muffin and she shoots me a look of gratitude. ‘You know there’s a new guy in town.’

Her blue eyes widen. This was big news to us small town folk. ‘Seriously? Whats he like?’

‘Nice. A little…moody.’

‘Where’s he from?’

‘America. Cigarette?’ I pull out my packet, to which she shakes her head at. I light up, thinking about his face. ‘I met him yesterday. He didn’t like my smoking.’

‘Who does?’

After an hour or so, we decide to leave the stand to my Nana. The stalls are full of dead animals and vegetables and shit, people buying ready for their Sunday meal. We cut across the village square, over the fence down the alleyway between the library and grocers, carefully inching our way down the mud hill. When we get to the bottom, which is a surprisingly long way down, comes a huge green field. Its supposed to belong to the farmer, but no one’s seen him in ten years. Rumour had it he was shacked up with one of the cows…ew.  

The field is home to an all manner of trees, plants, animals, and a lake if you go deep enough into the forest. Madeleine and I come out here a lot if it’s not raining, and If we ever want to flunk school. We’ve never seen anyone else up here.

Once we get to our tree, which is a large oak that’s hollowed out in the middle, we climb up onto the first branch and get in. We’ve managed to make a sort of cover to the entry of the tree with moss and bits of twig and stuff, so not a soul can get in. Inside, there are blankets, candles and matches, a portable stereo and CDs. To top it off, a couple of bottles of wine and a few beers we’d managed to scavenge out of Maddy’s parents’ liquor cabinet. I also had plenty cigarettes. It was completely waterproof, too, so we could come here even in the eternal rain. The hum of the market is almost intelligible, and will become even more so with a few glugs of wine in me.