Masquerade -5-

Chapter Five

Glass dolls

"Are you ready dear?" Kyle asked, grabbing a hold of my hand. We were standing inside the castle, getting ready to go outside on the balcony to show the village we are engaged. Kyle has been staying with me for about a week and within that time I have hardly seen Marie or Susan. Neville disappeared, but I still think of him all the time. Sometimes I wonder if I'm starting to have feelings for Kyle, but then I think that would be barbaric.

Kyle was a perfect gentleman, he was the best choice for King and I know noticed that. He was kind to the people and very considerate. He listened to the rules but followed his heart. He was going to rule with his mind, not his heart.

"I think so." I said, as he squeezed my hand reassuringly. We heard my father talking to the group of thousands just outside this door. Everyone would be here, awaiting the news. Some people had suspicions, but they didn't know for a fact.

"Introducing my wonderful daughter, Lady Jane..." We heard my father say from outside the door. Kyle let go of my hand, gently pushing me out as the guards opened the door allowing me to go outside. I have practiced my lines all week, but I was still unprepared. As I walked to the ledge of the balcony I looked out and saw all the people watching me, excited.

"Good afternoon." I started, talking loudly but showing my authority. The smile I was wearing probably wasn't matching my eyes but they wouldn't be able to tell.

"We have brought you all here on this glorious day to inform you of a few changes that will be held." I looked over my shoulder to my dad, he smiled at me kindly.

"As you all know, the ball was to help me find my betrothed." At that being said, the village people started whispering, growing impatient.

"I would happily like to inform you, I am now engaged." The people started clapping and cheering for me. I looked around the crowd and spotted Marie, standing there, looking nervous as she looked to her left. I followed her gaze and spotted Susan, facing away from me, talking to someone reassuringly. I couldn't tell who the person was, but I never let my eyes leave them, waiting to see. My heart was increasing, I was growing nervous.

"I would like to introduce my Fiancé..." I said, moving my eyes to my side at the guard as I pointed my hand at the doors.

"Sir Kyle." I stated as he stepped out of the room and walked up to me, wrapping his arm around my waist as he waved his other to the people. The crowd went crazy and people seemed to be so excited. Kids were jumping up and down and others were gossiping like crazy.

"We are excited to say, that whenever my parents are ready to step down, we will be taking full responsibility of the village, happy to be of your service." I said, sternly. I tried to find Susan again with my eyes but she was nowhere in sight.

"We haven't yet set a date, but I'm sure all of you will find out in due time." The crowd clapped again as Kyle looked down at me, happily.

"We thank you for taking your time to come here, and be a part of our grand celebration. Tonight, there will be a party, all around the town. There will be dancing, drinks, and a huge celebration just for the occasion. We hope you join and make this night.... a grand one." I said, waving a goodbye at the crowd. They were all screaming with joy, some crying from the news, but inside... deep down inside, I didn't feel as happy as them. Kyle squeezed my hand and looked down at me, showing me his teeth underneath his smile. He kissed my cheek, putting on a show for the village. We laughed silently to ourselves before heading back inside.