Masquerade -4-

Chapter Four

Announcing, the Royal Engagement

"Who will you choose?" My father asked me as we were eating our lunch in the garden. My mother was sick, so she was in the infirmary. It was an awkward atmosphere this morning when I woke up and was told my father expected an answer today.

"I have not a clue yet." I said, honestly. I wasn't planning on giving him an answer anytime soon; I was to delay as long as possible. At least until I came up with a plan.

"You must choose." He said sipping his ginger tea. It wasn't sunny outside but it wasn't raining yet. The chairs were cold and the atmosphere was different today, there must be a storm coming. I haven't seen Marie since last night, which was kind of odd.

"Well, I can't exactly make that decision so fast, father." I said, sternly. He slightly glared at me, setting his cup on the plate making it clink.

"Would you like help narrowing it down?" He asked, folding his arms over his chest. I knew we had to make the decision right now, but I planned on being stubborn; I wasn't ready to face the future.

"Kyle or Henry." He said, not even letting me object. Kyle or Henry... Henry was weird, loud, and obnoxious. He made me want to rip all my hair out whenever I was next to him. He made conversation awkward almost every time we talked, not to mention he was about ten years older than I.

"Kyle." I said, before even realizing what I was agreeing to. Behind me I could hear someone coughing, were they choking?

"It's done then. We shall make the arrangements to have him over, give him the good news, and then inform the village." He said with a triumphant smile on his face as he stood up.

"You made a great choice..." He whispered. I could still hear the person coughing behind me, uncontrollably. My dad looked up and glared at him.

"Servant! Go to your chores until you can manage to not get me sick..." He said rudely, walking back towards the castle. I turned around in my seat and looked at the man who had been coughing behind me to apologize for my father's rude behavior.

"So nice of you to, finally pick someone other than me." Neville said hurt, turning around and walking towards the stables. My heart rate increased dramatically as my hands became clammy. What did he expect me to do, I couldn't have avoided this much longer than I already did! He should know by now that if I could choose anyone, it would be him! That arrogant little boy!

As if on cue, like a movie of some sort, the rain started. At first I sat there, it was only raining lightly, it was relaxing almost. I stood up from my seat eventually once it started to rain harder and then I ran.

I ran as fast as I could. Running let me think, it let my mind wander, and all I needed right now was to get away and think. I didn't know how far I could get, but I tried my best. I had to run past the stables to get where I wanted, but it's not like he would even care anymore if he saw me, he hated me... and there wasn't much I could do about it. .

"Lady Jane!" I heard a guard yell from behind me. I kept running not even bothering to look behind me.

"Lady Jane!" He yelled louder. I'm almost positive we were right in front of the stables, letting anyone near us be able to hear.

"Lady Jane!" He shouted again. I was going to keep running but my footing got messed up causing me to fall forwards. I shouted in pain and looked at my now dirty dress.

"Jane?" I heard a small voice from my left. I turned to see Nova watching me with sad eyes. Behind her was her parents and Neville, all watching as well. She stepped forwards but Neville held her back with his hand. She looked up at him angrily before yanking his hand off of her. She ran up to me and helped me up. I looked at Neville once before grabbing Nova's hand and walking towards the guard who just caught up to me.