Chapter Seven

~ Don't trust everything you see, even salt looks like sugar

Chapter Seven

"What do you mean she doesn't know anything?" An unfamiliar voice boomed with anger. It was deep and foreign accented. "Do you not see how dangerous that is?"

"We're protecting her. She doesn't need to know anything that does not concern her," my mother replied in confidence. She hinted no fear from the harshness of the other person. Even I twitched in bed.

"Of course it concerns her. Look at what's happening and she's completely clueless to it," the male spoke, outraged by her comment. To be honest, I was on this guy's side at that moment. I understood very little but as far as I knew, they were talking about something I should have known.

"We've had no signs," Mum grunted and I pictured it to be accompanied with a shrug.

"No signs? What about the incident almost ten years ago, was that not a sign?" I didn't realise the man's voice could get any louder. There was clear snide in the tone.

The incident almost ten years ago... This time I visibly twitched in my bed. As the memory flashed through my mind, I felt my breathing restrict from the lump in my throat, my heart beat picking up and my chest ached. Ten years ago... That was my fault. I'm a monster.

"She's awake." That was Dad's calming voice. I felt a hand touch my forehead, and knowing it was my father's it helped my body to relax. It worked every time.

I opened my eyes instantly peering into his soft, hazel ones. They glistened with worry as he gently rubbed the side of my face and forehead repeatedly. He was sat on my bed, just hanging off the side twisted slightly so his hip touched my stomach. His warm hands were comforting, other than the few times they pushed into my eyelashes. I gulped as I continued to look into his saddened eyes. I hated seeing him like this and what made it worse is when I was the reason for it. I'm unaware of when my parents returned from their 'important' task because soon after Mike had left with Olivia, my head began to spin before I blacked out.

"You'll be alright. Can you sit up for me?" That was Greg, the doctor.

I scanned the room, surprised to see more people than I expected. There was Mum in black formal trousers, and a ruffled, cream sleeveless top that had a small collar. Her hair was in a high pony tail out of the way, light make up on her face and she wore pointed black heels. Wow, they must have gone somewhere important if she's wearing formal clothes and put on some lipstick. Her arms were crossed along her chest. She stood besides a man with short, grey infested brown hair, deep blue eyes and lips so thin. His nose was very straight and thin. He wore a black suit over a gold waistcoat and white shirt, accompanied with a light pink tie. Greg was stood just behind Dad, his black hair with rare strands of grey dishevelled. Weirdly enough, his eyes were the same shade as Dad's, only they also had specks of black dotted about. His bright lips were pressed together expectantly. His brown patterned jumper hung off his shoulders loosely and his black trousers were creased. I honestly don't know why Mum ever had a crush on him or, as I suspect, why she still does.

Then, there was Mike and two other men I didn't recognise. The two men stood by either side of my bedroom door, looking very out of place with black tinted sun glasses on and wires around their ears. Their arms crossed in front with one hand gripping the other. Mike was leaning on the wall opposite my bed, one leg crossed behind the other. His hair looked like he ran his fingers through them so many times. He wore a dark grey long sleeved cotton blend hoodie (only reason I knew about the material of the hoodie is because he told me once) with the sleeves rolled up, revealing his bulged veins as he had one hand gripping his arm. He wore dark blue jeans that gathered from the knees to the bottom. That was strange, he was wearing something different earlier. Everyone was staring at me. The calmness that Dad provided for me was replaced with nerves as soon as I realised that everyone had their attention on me.