Chapter One

~ We are on the same journey, but each take a different path 

Chapter One

What if I told you Angels were not what we all thought they were? Of course, they have their feathered wings – some of the most beautifully structured ones, might I add, that I've ever seen – and, sure, they're probably the most powerful creatures known to man, but what if... What if there is more? Would you believe me?

What if I told you, they lived and breathed amongst us – you could be sitting next to one right this very minute! Would you believe me, then? I've witnessed...

I grunted, shutting the book and throwing it onto the empty side of my double bed. Reading was useless and ineffective to my restlessness. I thought reading was supposed to put you to sleep. What's more is that I didn't even pick this book up on purpose; I was in the library avoiding one of my lectures, when my lecturer, Rose Pryce, clicked in (with her extremely high heels – mind you, she was still shorter than me in them) during the lesson break and caught me while I was trying to sneak around her to exit the library unnoticed. I was by the shelf opposite the checkout desk, when she turned back around and spotted me. I made an excuse, grabbed the first book I reached for and stumbled over to the desk. Soon after that, Rose marched out of the room – or as much as she could with her heels and pencil skirt – with me in tow. After all that effort to avoid the class, I had to endure the last hour of the lecture.

Anyways, I rolled around in my bed a few more times, careful not to weigh down on the book; it was the university's possession after all and I didn't have the money to pay for any damages. I huffed and puffed before giving up and slipped out of bed. I reached over the side and shut the window, turning away from the tree – which blocked me from seeing the road below – with little black birds chirping away. My bed was pushed against the wall beside the large window, my room barely furnished as the only other objects are a cupboard and a chair; I was still in the process of moving rooms since this one was bigger and empty for as long as I could remember. My cousin had gone quite a few years ago.

I strolled out of my room, past my parents' room and began making my way down the stairs until I heard their voices drift from the kitchen. I was three steps from the top and decided to take a seat. It was very easy to eavesdrop and the conversation peaked my interest since Mum appeared a little outraged, if her tone of voice was anything to go by:

"What?" Mum screamed, stomping her foot on the floor.

"I said I think it's time we tell her." Dad's voice was calm in comparison to Mum's as if he was immune to her outbursts.

"Tell her what exactly?" You could tell Mum found Dad's coolness in this situation rather irritating. I probably would, too, if I had a point to get across.

"C'mon, Elaina, what if it happens? We don't want her to be in public surrounded by people." He whispered the 'it' as if it was some sort of secret.

"Yeah, two years too late!" I wasn't sure what Mum was doing because all I heard was the scrape of the chair being pushed back. Maybe she stood up to express how absurd she thought Dad's suggestion was? "She's nineteen, for goodness sake, twenty in a few months. No one has gone this long witho ––"

That was an indication that they were talking about me, which only peaked my interest even more.

At this point, I felt the thump of an object hitting me, followed by a purr. I glanced beside me to peer into the alarmingly bright green eyes of my cat; she had just head-butted my outer thigh then purred for my attention. She gave me away; my parents must have heard the purr since that was when Mum's sentence abruptly discontinued. I lifted up my ginger, chubby cat and stood up immediately, descending down the rest of the stairs before they had a chance to see me sat there.