Epilogue: Romania

November 3, before
Hills of Romania, West of Suceava

Narcisa cried out in pain. "We tried!" she screamed. "We did all we could! Stop!"

Alexander Raven laughed, the nosferatu bodies on the floor of the cave in front of him, heaped together, struggling for breath.

"It was not enough!" he bellowed.

"It was all we could do! Even after we told her what the vieczy were capable of, she still traveled with them. They must worship her!" Valentin cried.

"The vieczy travel with her? As if in her coven?" Raven asked, dropping to his knees to grab Narcisa's face in his hand. "Are you sure?"

"We're sure," Narcisa said.

"Her power must be unrivaled," he said, mystified. "You must find her again and travel with her. Then maybe, maybe I'll leave you and yours be. But no promises." He smiled.

"Do we have a choice?"

"Not really," Raven said, rising to his feet. "I can kill you now, I suppose. But I hate to do that. You could be so useful!"

"We don't fight on the side of evil," Narcisa hissed. This angered Raven. Without touching her, he pulled her body into the air and wrenched it this way and that, until her screams echoed deep in the cave and out into the night.

"You'll fight on whatever side I tell you to. Everyone always does," he said smoothly. "Get to it. I'm sure we'll meet again. I hope for your sake it is with that girl."