Chapter 12

This is the final chapter. Enjoy.

Vote and comment, if you wish. I always appreciate it. 

I'd like to thank the following users who've commented my story: @RandomReadThatWrites, @QueenUrsulaTheSecond @dedefisher67 @YJfanficfreak @KaylaBug1218 @PenguinsBands @MalicelovesEvelyn @Marloscutest  @flow8264 @malxcarlos4ev @elitefors @Maleficent2mal @Sillaia09 @EviePacific 

Carlos was currently chilling at the ship's railing. His arms crossed on the railing with his head resting on them. He was staring at the Isle of the Lost, which can be seen from the distance.

He wasn't exactly happy right now. A part of him wished that he and Mal would get back together, but a part of him, the selfless part of him, told him to let her go, to give her the chance to see if Ben loves her for who she really is. As it turns out, he does.

"Hey."

Carlos turned around and saw Mal, smiling at him.

"You doing okay?" asked Mal.

"I just need time," said Carlos.

"Hey, you were the one who told me to give Ben a chance," reminded Mal.

"And only half of me regrets telling you that," said Carlos. "The other part of me is happy for you."

"If it makes you feel any better, a part of me wishes tonight went terrible," said Mal.

"But if it did, all the villains from the Isle will be free," said Carlos.

"I know," laughed Mal.

"So, congratulations," said Carlos. "You and Ben are together again."

"And I am happy," said Mal, smiling.

Carlos smiled a little, showing Mal that he truly is happy for her.

"Can I ask you a question?" asked Mal.

"What is it?" asked Carlos.

"You had your chances to take me back. You didn't take them," said Mal. "Why?"

"This kingdom needs you in court. I know you, and I know you'll do great. Plus, you and Ben are meant to be," said Carlos.

"That's a lie," said Mal, pointing sternly at Carlos. "I want the truth. I'll poof up a truth gummy if I have to."

Carlos hangs his head, trying to build up the courage to tell the truth.

"I guess I just don't think we can work anymore," said Carlos. "I'm your past. Ben's your future. Believe me, I want to try us again, but I just felt that we only relived the sparks we once shared because we returned to the place where our love was born. I thought that we could only be on the Isle, not in Auradon."

"That's not true," said Mal. "Okay, so that's partially true, but it's not completely true."

Carlos reaches for Mal's hand. She didn't hesitated to hold his.

"Mal, I always love you," said Carlos. "But things have changed. I just think that we both need to move on."

"And, thanks to you, I'm on that path," said Mal. "I think it's time I repay the favor."

Mal drags Carlos towards the daughter of Fairy God Mother.

"Hey, Jane," called Mal.

"My lady," greeted Jane, bowing before the Lady of the Court.

"Don't do that," said Mal.

Jane rises from the ground.

"Carlos here has something he wants to ask you," said Mal.

Mal shoves Carlos towards Jane and steps back to give him some room. Carlos stared at Jane with his mouth open, unprepared for what Mal wanted him to do.

"Hi," he said.

"Hi," greeted Jane.

"Um, Jane, I know it's a bit too late, but... I've been wanting to ask you," said Carlos. "Will you... be my dance partner tonight?"

Jane gasped, surprised. "You mean as your date?"

"I'm not too late, am I?" asked Carlos.

"No. No, you're not," said Jane. She started rambling on and on. "I've been waiting all this time for you to ask me. This isn't exactly how I pictured it, but..."

"Whoa, calm down," said Carlos. "Is that a yes?"

"You're an amazing guy, Carlos, and I am the luckiest girl in the world," said Jane, hyperventilating from happiness.

Jane gives Carlos a hug. Carlos hugged her back. Mal smiled.

"Bibbidi-bobbidi!" Fairy God Mother exclaimed.

"Your daughter's found herself a boyfriend," said Mal.

"I take it you had a hand in this," guessed Fairy God Mother.

"He's always been a shy boy. He needed a push," said Mal, inwardly laughing since she literally pushed Carlos into asking out Jane.

"Mal," called Carlos, walking towards the purple-haired future queen. "Thank you."

"I'm proud of you," said Mal, petting her friend.

To Carlos' surprise, Mal plants a kiss on his forehead. He felt himself heat up, but tried to keep himself under control, to little avail. He grabs her hand with one and holds it with the other, subtly placing something on it.

"Am I interrupting something?" asked Ben, walking towards his Lady.

"Just giving Carlos here a reward for asking out Jane," said Mal.

"Oh, congratulations then," said Ben.

"Thanks," said Carlos.

Carlos holds hands with Jane. Mal and Ben hold hands as well as they prepare to sing and dance. Before they do, Mal opens her hand to look at what Carlos gave her. It was the dragon-shaped rock he gave to her six months ago.

He kept it, after all this time, she thought happily.

While leaning on Ben's shoulder, Mal stared at Carlos, who was happily dancing with Jane. While a part of her regretted throwing him to another girl, she was still happy for him. He deserved happiness.

"Happily ever afters aren't always meant to be like rainbows and unicorns. Sometimes, they happen in the most unusual of ways. We may not get what we want, but we're happy with what we have. As much as I want to relive what Carlos and I shared six months ago, we're both happy with the path we've taken. Like he said, well, in my dream, happily ever after with a little flavor."

THE END

This may not be a happy Marlos ending, but it wasn't meant to be. I was aiming for a bittersweet ending that I still hope you find beautiful. So, what do you think? Is it beautiful?

Leave a comment, please. Feedback is always appreciated.