Chapter 10

Read, enjoy, vote, and comment, if you wish.

Mal, ,Evie, Jay, Carlos, and Lonnie have returned to Auradon with a recently rescued Ben. Ben leaves with Jane to discuss his surprise for Mal, leaving the depressed purple-haired sorceress with her friends.

"We need to talk," said Evie.

Evie started walking Mal off somewhere they can speak in private. Someone, however, wasn't about to let them walk away.

"No," Carlos spoke.

Mal and Evie stopped and turned around.

"You guys are always going off in a huddle, whispering your girl talk or whatever, and, well, Jay and I are sick of it," said Carlos.

"I'm not," said Jay.

Carlos glares at Jay like an irked parent. He then looks back at Mal and Evie.

"We're your family, too," he said. "We've been through a lot together. We're not stopping that now."

Carlos sits down on the grass and tells everyone to sit. They obeyed. As soon as everyone was seated, all eyes were on Carlos, waiting for him to start the conversation.

"I don't know how to start girl talk," said Carlos, unsure of how to start the conversation.

Jay looks at Evie and casually says, "What up?"

Everyone remained silent. Mal appeared to be on the brink of crying.

"I'm a mess. I'm such a mess," she said sadly. "Six months ago, I was stealing candy from babies, and now... everybody wants me to be this Lady of the Court and I have no idea how to keep up the act."

"Then don't," said Carlos.

"See? This was dumb," said Jay, trying to escape the conversation.

"No, he's right," said Evie, holding Mal's hand in a comforting way. "We're always gonna be the kids from the Isle. I tried to forget it, but once we went back, I realized I can't. Those are our roots. We did what we had to survive, but it made us who we are. We're never gonna be anyone else here, and that's okay. We can't fake it."

"I don't know," said Mal. "I mean, what would Ben think?"

"Mal, if Ben doesn't love you for who you really are, then he's not the one," said Carlos. "Give him a chance."

Evie looks at her best friend and says, "I'm gonna make some changes to your dress. If you're up for it, only if you're up for it, it will be waiting for you."

Evie looks at Jay, who was just sitting there, silent.

"What?" asked Jay.

"Say something," said Evie.

Jay thinks for a moment. He trains his eyes on Mal and says, "Come to Cotillion tonight. If Ben's not smart enough to love you, and if you can't take another day here, I'll drive you back tomorrow myself."

Evie nods, appreciating Jay's generosity and kindness.

"Remember, you're never alone, Mal," said Carlos. "We're here for you. I'm here for you."

Mal begins to smile a little.

Evie smiles at Carlos and says, "Thank you."

Carlos smiles back.

"Guys, can you give me and Carlos a minute alone?" Mal asked.

"What about me?" asked Dude.

Mal responds by glaring at the dog. Evie gently picks up Dude as she and Jay get up and walk away to give Mal and Carlos some alone time. Mal gestures for Carlos to sit next to her. Carlos scoots himself closer towards Mal.

"Thank you," said Mal, holding Carlos' hand.

Carlos looks down at Mal's hand wrapped around his before looking back at her. She was smiling, which was a good sign.

"I just said what I thought was right," said Carlos.

"No, that came from here," said Mal, putting a hand over his chest, where his heart is. "I know it did."

"How can you tell?" asked Carlos.

"Because you love me for who I am," said Mal.

Carlos was surprised to hear these words. What surprised him more is that what she said is true. Ever since he returned to Isle and found her, old feelings began to return, or maybe old feelings simply resurfaced. Maybe I never really moved on, he thought.

"I do," said Carlos.

Mal's smile grew bigger. She scoots closer to the white-haired puppy lover. Carlos can feel himself blush as Mal came closer.

"Who am I kidding? Let's just forget about all this. Forget Cotillion. Forget Auradon. Let's run away together," said Mal.

"Mal, we can't just bail on Ben," said Carlos.

"Forget Ben," said Mal.

"But you love him, too," said Carlos.

Mal's mouth opened but no words came out. She was shocked to hear this.

"Are you sure it's me you want?" asked Carlos.

"I think I am," said Mal.

"Mal, the Cotillion is more than just about giving Ben a chance," said Carlos. "It's about stepping us a leader of Auradon. This kingdom needs you, whether you believe it or not."

"You really believe that?" asked Mal.

"I've always believed in you," said Carlos. "You just have to believe in yourself."

Carlos holds both of Mal's hands as he leaned closer.

"Come to Cotillion and see what happens," said Carlos. "If everything goes smoothly and you build the courage to tell Ben you love him, you know what to do. If things go south, then... I'll run away with you, I promise."

"But what about Jane?" asked Mal. "Doesn't a part of you still want to ask her to the Cotillion?"

"Maybe, but I see that now's not the time," said Carlos. "Mal, I love you. I've always loved you. I never stopped, even after everything. Now that I know this and that you still feel the same way... we just need to wait and see."

"But what if things go north?" asked Mal.

"We'll cross that bridge when we get there," said Carlos, wiping a tear coming down Mal's eye.

Mal puts her hand behind Carlos' head and pulls him closer until their lips met. Carlos didn't shy away from kissing back. His hand ran down her face as Mal holds his face with both hands.

"Have I told you that you're an amazing kisser?" asked Mal.

"No, you haven't," said Carlos.

Mal chuckled in amusement and gently slaps Carlos on the cheek.

"I hope you don't mind going solo," said Mal.

"I'm going to make sure my friend gives her ex-boyfriend a second chance," said Carlos.

"Or see if she'll come running back to your arms," Mal teased.

"Well, I'm doing it for both reasons, I guess," Carlos agreed.

What do you think? Cute?