Wally

The experience I'm about to recount to you is quite short, unfortunately, but I remember it quite vividly.

You remember Wally, right? The cute little boy who served as your rival in Pokémon Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald? Yeah, he's easily one of my favorites. He doesn't seem to have any emotional hang-ups; he's not an arrogant, he doesn't constantly call you weak, he's not a hyperactive annoyance, and he's not trying to deceive you even for the smallest amount of time. He's just a sweet, innocent little boy who wants to be a good Pokémon trainer.

He was the one I hated to beat. But, at the same time, I loved it. The way he accepted his defeat at my character's hands with the vow to try harder made me feel like I was a motivator of some sort. I wasn't beating him mercilessly; I was helping him get better.

It had been quite some time since I played my Ruby game; a few years, at least, but I never once misplaced it. As I suddenly got the urge to play it one day after watching the Jirachi Wishmaker movie, I found it neatly tucked away in my sock drawer in the exact same corner in which I had left it. It wasn't even dusty, the cloth protection of a bunch of unused socks kept it safe from any damaging elements, which in turn answered the question as to why I had placed it in my sock drawer in the first place.

I located my DS -I misplaced my GBA SP quite a while ago. Not that it mattered- and quickly inserted the red cartridge, excited to see my old, completely unbalanced Pokémon team. I selected my save file and saw that I had saved right in front of the Pokémon League, which was good considering I planned to challenge them straight away anyway. Rather...since I was there, I figured I'd pay my favorite little Rival a friendly visit before doing anything. First Wally, then the League, then I'd see if there was a chance I had been lucky enough to find my game on the day I could find Mirage Island.

As I stepped away from the League entrance, following the zigzag path downward, I stopped a moment and opened my party. Normally, when I leave a Pokémon game alone for a while, I find out that the last thing I did was trade to help out my Pokédex on my other games...It certainly wouldn't have been the first time that I enter battle completely unaware that I had a party full of level 5 Rattata and Magikarp...it's a bit of an embarrassing situation, to say the least.

They were all there though:

Inferno the level 100 Blaziken

Volcano the level 85 Groudon

Dailoros the level 87 Rayquaza

Duragon the level 65 Salamence

Harbinger the level 55 Absol

and Vengeance the level 34 Banette

As I said, painfully unbalanced, but they were all there just as I had left them. I was relieved, actually. That meant that Ruby was the game I hadn't abused the Pal Park with. It must've been Emerald.

But that's not really important, though, and I'm getting off track. My party was there, so I didn't have to waste a few minutes in going back up to the League to switch out my dinky little under-leveled Pokémon for something a little better. So I began my little trek to see Wally once more.

As I entered the cave, he was standing there waiting for me already. I couldn't remember if that was what he was supposed to do or not...as I said, it's been quite a long time since I've so much as thought about this game. But I was excited to talk to him either way...whether I felt guilty for beating him or not, I really loved seeing him.

I approached him and pressed 'A' to talk, but rather than have him say something in greeting before challenging me to a battle, the 'trainer spotted' theme played for a second or two before the screen flickered, signifying a battle had started. But just as quickly as the screen faded to black, it faded back in to the normal cave scene once more. Only Wally was no longer there.