Chapter 5

The man walked over to where the short man had left the bottles filled with several chemicals. He fiddled around with different bottles. He picked up a dark green bottle that read 'Infection'. He smiled to himself, put it into his coat pocket. Once he walked out of the room, I opened up the vent I was in. I don't know what I was thinking, I jumped out, causing a loud thump. I crawled behind one of the large cabinets they had, incase anyone would come in. 

     After about three minutes, I got up and walked towards where the man was looking at the bottles. There were three more, not including the one he took. The was a pink one that said: Dog infection, a blue one that said: Air polution, and a black one that said: Shadow infection. Shadow infection? What could that mean? An infection on shadows? It makes no sense. 

     I heard the doorhandle shaking. I ran across the room into one of the closets. There were lab coats, goggles, and other gear for scientists. It was the tall man. He had a huge jug of water on a large wagon. I realized what it was. My father, had worked at a water factory when I was 5. The jug is the water they put into name brand water bottles. He took out the dark green bottle and poured what was in it into the jug. The green color faded into the crystal clear color of the water, as if nothing was put into it. He smiled at himself. I thought of all the horrors I had faced throughout the big Infection, and he's going to start this again? I hate this man. I hate him. I held back the tears I could feel trying to escape. He took the blue bottle with him and left the room with the jug on the wagon. 

     I caught the door before it closed, and slipped out of the room. The hallway was large, and dark, with containers stacked up in piles in various places. It smelled toxic in here, like rubbing alcohol mixed with medicene. I followed the man outside, where he took out the blue bottle, and threw it into the air. It was amazing, it turned from a liquid into a gas, it filled the air. I covered my nose with my mouth, as he put a cloth over his nose. I hid behind on of the boxes I had climbed before, and he entered back inside. 

     I followed him inside again, my eyes started watering from the feeling of the chemicals. I hope it didn't affect me. He opened up one of the doors of the facility and quickly slipped inside, as if he knew I was following him. I peeked inside the little square window. He was laid down on a bed. The entire room looked different than the others. It had a closet, with buisness suits and casual wear, it had a small flat screen tv on the wall, and other luxurious items. This was his room, he lived here. He placed a cloth over his eyes and fell asleep. 

     I went back to the room with all the chemicals. The short stubby man was in there, freaking out once he saw the Green and Blue bottles missing. Once he saw me, he became histerical. 

"What are you doing here? Wait, you're Emily, aren't you?" He said frantically.

"Yes, yes I am. Why are you guys starting the Infection all over again? It's really stupid and you guys should be askamed!" I said, almost out of breath. I was still shaky from the idea of that horrible experience starting all over again.

"This is not my choice, trust me, if I could stop it I really would, but of course, I am in no position to make a decision like that." He replied sounding rather sad. He looked down at his feet. "I'm sorry Emily, we know that you lived through that as xa zombie, and that must've been horrible." 

I studied his face, he looked like he wanted to cry. I felt bad for him, I believe him, he doesn't seem like someone that would do something as horrible as that. "It's fine." I said trying to be kind. "Wait, how did you know who I was?"

"Well, everyone here is expecting you. You're the only young girl here, so I would obviously know who you are." He said, kind of laughing. 

"Yeah, Okay." I said. "I saw that man you were talking with earlier. He had put the infected disease into the a jug of water that they put into water all over the world."

He looked at me, with a frightened look. "Please, tell my you're joking." He said. His hands started shaking. 

"I'm sorry. I'm terrified too, trust me. The last thing I want is to have the Infection start all over again." I said, fighting back tears once again. I closed my eyes and had another flashback of fighting of the zombies with Taylor, finding Alex, Going to the camp grounds, risking my life for everyone there. It stills feels like that. 

"If I pretend you're not here, if I hide you from everyone here, will you help me prevent the Infection from spreading all over again?" He said hopefully. "I lost my child and my wife to the Infection, I will do anything in my power to stop this, but I can't do it alone."

I thought about it, I can't risk my life again, and I have to look for Alex and Taylor's children. But I too, would do anything in my power to stop this. I can't lose anymore people either. "Yes, I'll help you. What's your name?" I asked him.

"Derrek Jones, call me Derek." He said smiling at me.

We shook hands. Our partnership had begun.