43

Steady arms wrapped around me, my face pressed into familiar coarse fabric, one hand on the back of my head.

I couldn't breathe. I grabbed onto whatever I could find, fistfuls of material being pulled by my hands.

I felt light headed and sweaty. It was hardly an immediate concern. My mind rattled with Ella's words, her face distorting behind my eyelids. I squeezed them harder, willing her to disappear.

"Shh. It's alright. It was only a dream." The whisper met my ear, it was pained and so very sad. Shaking.

I wasn't used to that.

It had always been so strong, so certain.

I swallowed thickly. My throat hurt. I had been screaming again. I began to calm, taking in my surroundings.

Another flash of that Cheshire Cat smile. I gasped, tugging again on the coat I was holding. My eyes shot open. I couldn't close my eyes. I couldn't sleep. I was far more tired than when I had initially gone to bed, but I couldn't let sleep take me. I wouldn't.

Lips pressed to my forehead returned me to reality. "Just a bad dream."

I nodded slowly, taking steadying breaths. "She's in my head." I managed, my voice cracking. "She's everywhere."

I forced myself to look up at him, to meet his eyes. "Don't marry her. Please. Anything but that."

He sighed. "Miss Gra-"

I couldn't help the sob that escaped me. "Come back," I cried, leaning my forehead on his chest. "Come back to me. Don't leave again." He held me as I shook. Grief taking over my entire body. "I need you. Don't go. Please, don't go."

He lifted my face to meet his. "I won't marry her." He stated, his voice quiet. "Though I cannot stay. It isn't right."

I clenched my eyes shut. My heart tearing all over again. "What did they do to you?" I asked. "In Azkaban, what did they do?"

He took a steadying breath. "They made me see reason."

I felt as though I had been stabbed. His words were a knife to my chest, twisting and turning. "You told me I would never lose you. That we had all the time in the world."

I wanted to push him away, but his arms were locked around me, holding me still. His eyes slid shut. "I have played this game before. I refuse to allow it to play out a sit already has. I will not ruin another young woman's life."

He stood, trying to leave. I reached out, taking his hand. "You aren't ruining anything! Ella used you for your money. I chose you. I love you."

He shook his head. "I don't know where you heard that, though I can assure you that your emotions are out of control. You aren't thinking properly. You are distressed. You do not mean what you are saying."

I swallowed thickly. I had to be rational. "Lady Malfoy told me. The night of the dinner party."

He sneered. "That woman is wicked. She would do anything to tarnish the reputation of anyone other than her own family."

I shook my head. How could he be so blinded? "She's the one who told Ella about the Prince fortune in the first place. She set you up! Ask her yourself if you don't believe me."

He froze as soon as I mentioned his inheritance. His jaw clenched. "What fortune? How did you find out?"

I raked a hand through my hair, pushing it back. "She told me. Aphrodite Malfoy told me. She said she'd do anything to get her hands on your family's money."