39

I immediately regretted my rash decision to smother my employer with potatoes and other comestible products. The thought of being sacked this far into the year came to me. I'd be homeless, jobless, and at this rate, heartless with a bad reputation.

He wouldn't do that to me... Would he?

I didn't know. I took off to the seventh floor at a run, putting as much distance between myself and the Hall as possible. I burst through the infirmary doors, searching for the nurse frantically. When I finally located her, I quickly made my way to her. She caught me as I practically ran into her. "Miss Granger, what is the meaning of all this?" She asked. "You've been crying again."

I shook my head, waving off her comment. "Please tell me you have something for me to do. Anything."

She sighed, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. "Just like Severus, aren't you?" 

I jumped, looking behind me. "Sorry?"

She smiled sympathetically. "Always burying yourself in work instead of facing your emotions."

I shrugged. "Emotions get in the way. Waste of time and energy."

After a few minutes of squabbling, she wrote out some sort of list of potions to be made and sent me on my way. As I made my way to the doors, I felt another wave of nausea pass through me. I felt so very dizzy. I leaned against the wall, taking a moment to settle my breathing. Madam Pomfrey hurried over to me, leading me to a chair, that I unceremoniously fell into. "You're green, dearie."

I nodded and felt bile rise up my throat. She caught on quickly and brought a pail, placing it between my knees. The amount of liquid that was then expulsed from my body was impressive, considering I hadn't eaten all that much during the day. After all that was over and done with, I thanked the matron and stood to leave, though I didn't get very far before I began to see colourful spots and lose my balance. Suddenly, the floor was coming straight at me and everything went dark. 

I woke up in a cot in the infirmary, vases of flowers and get well cards decorated the night stand. A small smile lit my face as I saw the familiar scrawl of my best friends and the other Weasleys. I sat up a little, grabbing a card adorned with Ginny's penmanship. 

Hermione! 

You should have told me what was going on. That's what friends are for, silly! Can't wait to see you once you wake up. We have soooooo much to talk about.

~Gin

I frowned, glancing at the calendar. I'd been asleep two days. Apparently, the Weasleys and Harry had been notified that I had fallen ill along with my students, for the number of letters and concerned messages from parents was incredible. It warmed my heart. Hogwarts truly was home. 

I turned my head and my breathing momentarily stopped. In a tiny vase near my pillow, there stood a single red rose, fully bloomed. He'd been here. He'd come to see me. There was a note next to the flower.

Miss Granger, 

 I had not realised that you were under such stress. I suggest you take the next few weeks off to recover and rest. See me when you're ready.

~S. S.

My heated heart curled in on itself. The man I loved had disappeared, leaving the mean Deatheater in his place. I felt abandoned. Minerva was right... I ought to have listened to her when she tried to warn me.

Poppy bustled over, carrying a breakfast tray with tea, toast and a small bowl of porridge. She placed it on my lap and pushed the hair from my face, testing my temperature with the back of her hand. "How are you feeling?"